Friday, February 20, 2009

Lovliest Day Ever...

Today in Portland it is about 60 degrees and sunny!!! It is beautiful. So I took full advantage of the day and went on a day hike. I borrowed a book from my friend Christie. (pic of cute little chapel. See the sunshine?)


Christie is a pharmacist for Albertsons and I worked with her a lot. I have been ticking off hikes over the last few weeks. And by hikes I mean more like nature walks. With some incline. So far the paths have been paved or woodchipped. So not too rustic. (pic of The Grotto fo Our Sorrowful Mother. It is set in a little cave)
So today The Grotto won. It is about 5 miles from my house. This 62-acre sanctuary is staffed by about a dozen priest, nuns etc from the Holy Order of the Servants of Mary. They were having mass when I was there so it was pretty quiet. The hike is BEAUTIFUL and peaceful. I cannot wait for spring and the flowers to bloom because I am sure this walk will be even more stunning. (pic of St Philip Benizi.. He is praying to a cross and there is a small waterfall by his knees. I just thought it was beautiful and serene)




(pic of welcoming Jesus :) I dont know official name of this one.)
So there are just tons and tons of sculptures depicting saints, Jesus and his life etc. There was a little set of about 6 wooden scenes. They were encased in glass I am sure to protect them from all the rain. The picture did not turn out but the carvings were beautiful you will just have to trust me. There was this chapel dedicated to Mary mother of Christ. It was lovely also. but a little weird. I guess I am used to LDS things. But when I walked into this meditation chapel I did not feel the spirit...any spirit. It was pretty. The leather chairs were nice and the view of Portland was alright but the feeling was off. Needless to say I did not hang out for long. All in all it was a good nature walk/hike. I enjoyed it very much. But think the spring/summer would be better. So I guess I will have to do it again.
I personally am doing good. I have been having some cabin fever. Any cures out there???? Today was good for me. I also went shopping for new jeans and guess what? I purchased a pair of jeans 6 sizes smaller than the huge pair I am currently wearing and dont have to unbutton to get off...I am so excited!!!! What a lovely day!
Also I am listening to KSUU. The radio station of Southern Utah Univ in Cedar City Utah. My long time roomie Angie has a show that I like to tune into. It was a good show as always and I love hearing her shout out to me! But guess what...Angie took 3rd place in a national radio DJ personality contest! She is the best DJ ever! Contrats Angie!

6 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

Those pictures are great! How nice to have that so close by. So what's your weight loss secret? Cause I got at least 20 pounds to lose, but more like 25!

Maria said...

Wow, such beautiful pictures! I love nature walks. Gonna be a while before it's warm enough for me to venture outside for anything extracurricular.

Congrats on the weight loss! That is exciting. I definitely want to come visit and go on some nature walks with you.

Lori England said...

Wow! You are going to be called "no butt" sister!

Em said...

It actually turned into a nightmare, Mair. I'll email about it.

Lizi said...

I'm jealous of all the walking! The scenery looks so beautiful and green! You kinda forget that green places exist living in southern UT :) And just so you know, according to Kaden we still live in Mairann's house. Sara and I signed up for a 10k in Zion on April 18th...I think you should come too!

Angie said...

Awwww, you rock! Thanks for the shoutout, friend! :-D