Saturday, July 04, 2020

My First Quilt

Happy 4th of July!
I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy the freedoms of our great country.  I wish our country was stronger and kinder.
Today is the beginning of SAMAS Trucking. I am pretty proud of my husband. He has worked hard to get the rig prepped and stocked for this big day. Today he is hauling equipment to Texas, then pipe from Texas to North Dakota. I am sure this is the first of many runs. Any extra prayers would be appreciated since we are a bunde of nerves hoping this venture works. 
I set a goal for today. Finish my first quilt. I am here to report that I have accomplished that goal. 
My friend Lisa opened a fabric shop Apricot Stitches. She held a class to make a piece pillow. I took the class excited to learn something new. It was a wonderful class. One huge perk was I won a charm pack! 
A charm pack is a selection of a fabric line pre cut into 5 inch squares. They are perfect for beginners! I can promise that. I then purchased another charm pack and the white fabric and the important Charm School book. I read this book from cover to cover, devouring each word and every instruction. I learned a lot. But not everything. 
I cut out the fabric and started sewing blocks. Then I took another class at Apricot Stitches. This one was a class on gingham quilts. I sewed a quilt for my husband using the nesting techniques I learned at the class. I finished that quilt. My husband has used that quilt every day since I gave it to him. It is on the big rig right now.
I went back to making blocks with the Christmas charm pack when the Christmas season arrived
Christmas 2019 was really good to me. I yielded several quilting supplies and notions. This set me up to be able to quilt with ease. 
I sewed more blocks and then sewed them together making the awesome 'on point' design you see in the picture. Then I set the project aside for a few months while I focused on another quilt. After I finished the Vintage Farm Girl 2 quilt I pulled this out and sewed a border of red grunge. Again. I set the quilt aside and went back to work after 6 weeks off for COVID-19 shutdown. I since completed a different quilt with my favorite Modern Farmhouse fabric (more on that later). 
Back to my first quilt! Today is the day I sewed the binding on and finished this quilt. It is far from perfect but each square shows I improvement. I learned so much doing this quilt and had such fun. And while it took me months to accomplish I did it! 
Thank you to Lisa who quilted it with red, green, and white thread. I love it so much! The flannel snowmen on the back and binding make me smile and I am drawn to the chandelier effect this patten-which is called Chandelier- gives. 

I am happy happy with this quilt. I am happy with SAMAS Trucking. I am happy with this holiday. I hope you have a wonderful one! 

No comments: