Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My first Meth Mouth

Last week I had a patient who came in for an initial exam and cleaning. She had been in the week before for an emergency tooth extraction. This patient was about 35 years old. She was a little nervous to be in my chair. I did not realize why until I had her open her mouth while I placed the first xray film. I knew immediately that she had used meth before-quite a lot of meth. I chatted away trying to put her at ease. I asked her when her last hygiene appointment was. She told me that about 5 years ago she left in the middle of her appointment because it hurt so bad. In my mind I was thinking, no duh it hurt, you have a cavity in every single tooth in your mouth! I explained to her that I could numb up areas of her mouth to make the cleaning more comfortable. She agreed. As I was cleaning her mouth-which was a challenge with all the active carries- I told her I had just graduated and that I had seen pictures of meth mouth. I then asked her "So is that what I am looking at here?" She said yes. She then told me about how she had used meth and now her children were not in her custody etc. I felt bad for her, but proud that I had enough guts to ask her if she was a meth user. Honestly, I was afraid that I would offend her and that she would just leave my chair. Then the dentist came in and flat out asked her how much money she wanted to spend on her mouth since every thing needed a filling/crown. I think it would have been cheaper to get full dentures. I am not sure what she decided. I hope to see her again.

I attended UDHA this past weekend. I do not want to make this post too long but the last speaker of the convention said that Fluoride is good only topically and that systemic fluoride was not useful except for the fact it ended up in saliva and therefore was working topically. I have not looked into the studies she quoted but I was wondering what y'all thought about it. If this is true we can end the fluoride campaign and take that money and apply it to the legislative fund:)

It was so good to see everyone at the convention! I enjoyed myself and learned a few things.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Mary Ann you looked so nice at the convention! I wish I could have spent more time with you. It's so sad that you're so far away! I'm proud to have you as a friend, and my super senior peer pal. Friends like you are hard to find! Love ya girl!!

Em said...

Mary Ann it was so good to see you. It gives me hope that I will make it. Can you believe Aimee and I won 3rd place. What a shocker. Of cource we wern't there to accept our award and was remineded of this. Anyway thanks for commin by.

Jami said...

I dread the day when i see a meth mouth pt. WHere do you even start? I am really proud of you for asking her...i could see how that might be a little uncomfortable! I'm not really sure what to think about the whole Fluoride comment....that lady sure knew her stuff though.