Monday, November 13, 2006

The Dianodent

Ok so one of my Dr's just got a diagnodent. You know it has been a while since I had to pass of a PE about that and do you think I remember how to use it???? NOPE. I wonder if I still have that PE or if it went up in smoke with my lab jacket....hmmmm interesting. Anyway, my Dr was saying how I would be using the diagnodent on non-filled teeth. Then he would come in and look. So in my little inexperienced mind I am thinking that during my patient treatment I need to save time to play with the diagnodent (which will take me 5-10 min once I get the hang of it) and then he will come in and look with an explorer. It seems to me that we are doing the same thing. I know I cannot diagnose caries but I can read the numbers on a diagnodent. I guess I am looking for some advice from someone who actually uses it in their office right now. What do you do? Do you have it sitting out for every patient like the ultrasonic scaler? Does it really help the dentist? Do the assistants use it more since they are the ones who see the people with 'aches'. I could really use some help......

4 comments:

Jami said...

Hey there! Well, i can't say that i use it on a daily basis, but i know and RDH who uses it frequently. She keeps it readily available in her room. If she questions what her explorer is feeling, then she'll use the diagnodent and get a more accurate opinion! She writes the numbers down in the pt chart and shows them to the dentist. Then they go from there...i don't know if that helps at all, but good luck with that! Hope all is well. Are you all settled in to the new place?

Unknown said...

Hey- i can't really figure out if i like the diagnodent, maybe i just can't seem to trust it yet, but i do use it. It is a pain because they say the tooth has to be dry to get the most accurate reading. I only chart anything over 25...

Hey thanks for your e-mail. It came on the most perfect day- i need to write you back because i have some similar frustrations and hearing you just made me feel alot better! You are great! Think of you often! Will write ya soon!

Em said...

Mair I got your two books. THANK YOU I LOVE THEM!!!!! And I HATE the diagnodent, I think it finds things that are not really there.

Natlee Lloyd said...

Hi Mary Ann! Long time and lots of teeth later, how the heck are you? Wasn't it the best feeling to have Aug/Sept roll around and not have to start school!!! I have only worked a lil bit but when I asst a hygienist before school she used the diagnodent maybe once a day on areas she thought were maybe suspicious and only when we had a lot of time in the appt, like not an obvious stick, or the dr would ask for it in an exam to use himself like when debating whether to fill or seal a tooth. Hey do you ever talk to Nat J? I need to ask her a Q, can you tell her to email my school email or check her school email? Thanks and like always, love your blog!Nat L