Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Month Later

You know nothing takes makes you appreciate the goodness of life like a vacation. I just got back from 5 days in Savannah Georgia and 2 days in Las Vegas and Mesquite. So now here I am in the cold Cedar City summer....95 degrees. And thinking to myself how I used to think it was hot here....


Ok so here is a little bit about Savannah. First it is full of trees. Kylie (my brother Dave's girlfriend) asked me it I was afraid to trees because I kept talking about them. I laughed and said if you had been to Utah you would understand....there are no trees. Anyway the trees all have this spanish moss growing on them and it is spokily beautiful!
We took a tour of the Sorrell mansion that was in Ghost Hunters tv show on the Discovery channel. It was cool to see the old house and hear about all the spooky things that happen there. Savannah is the most haunted city in America and there was always someone ready to tell you about their sighting of little girl ghosts etc. We even did a haunted Savannah tour! The drivers laugh was annoying but it was really pretty interesting hearing about murders and suicides and mayhem!!!





This is the Savannah River. Yup I said RIVER! The cargo ships come right from the ocean and ferry up the river. It is not a very wide river but it is pretty deep!


Since Savannah is so close to the ocean and shrimp boats they have the most amazing seafood. I ate so much shrimp, flounder, crab, etc while I was there I swear my pores smell like seafood...just kidding. I did eat a lot of seafood though!



This pic is of Dave looking off into the distance as all Jones' do. Kylie saw my blog and laughed and asked about the Jones pose. She did not know what it was so when Dave struck the pose in his army pics she wondered what he was smoking in Iraq. Now all his army buds do it and the wife/girlfriends laugh because now they know where it came from. So in the background is a bridge over the Savannah River.

















This pic is more straight on of Kylie, Dave and Karla. Karla is Dave's other mom. She is affectionately called our 'dirty mom' because she is as sweet as our mom but dirty:) All kidding aside...she is a wonderful person who I have grown to love and respect! She lives in Panguitch and met Dave when he was working at Panguitch Lake.



This pic is of Fort Pulaski. It is the east wall-toward the ocean. It was build to help defend America during the Revolutionary war. The holes are actual cannon ball holes. This fort oozed history. It was humbling to stand on the same ground and touch the same bricks that men of honor did so many years ago. I am so thankful to them for fighting for our independence! I took so many more pics of this great fort but will spare you the boring history lesson! I just thought this east wall--surrounded by a real moat--was blog worthy.





This is the flag from one of the stairwells at Fort Pulaski. It was very emotional for me....sniff sniff. God Bless America!!!!! God bless the soldiers who are fighting for freedoms all over this world!


This next one is of Dave. How cute is my brother in his full gear? Man we are lucky to have him and his friends serving for us! LOVE YOU DAVE!!!



















8 comments:

Candice said...

How fun! You get to go to so many fun places! I bet that it was such a neat experience to see all these places...not so much neat about the ghosts, but probably cool! I'm such a scardy cat, I wouldn't have been able to go on those tours. :) Did you see any ghosts? Maybe one followed you home! J/K fun fun!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I totally lived vicariously through your blog. I loved every single thing you wrote about. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Aimee said...

I love Savannah! My friend and her husband were stationed out there about 8 years ago, and I got to visit. It's so beautiful! Good stuff. I'm glad to see you're back. I was starting to get worried!! Enjoy your cool weather down there!

The Obergs said...

It looks like you have had enough adventure to last you a lifetime. I'm glad you were able to go visit your brother, there's nothing quite like family time to make you so glad you have them. Savannah looks beautiful, definitely a place that I think I'd like to visit. Aren't you so glad we don't have humidity here....It rained everyday while I was in Mexico City and was so muggy that my towel never dried out. It made me a 1000 times over glad to not live where it's humid.

Jami said...

looks like a great history trip! The pic of your bro in all his git-up gave me the chills! Thank you soldier Jones.

Kami said...

Your brother is very handsome in all of his garb! How nice that you are proud of him and can visit where he is stationed. I have to say that you seem to be living quite the life down there in Cedar City. Almost every post is of an amazing outing that you have recently been on or something equally amazing. I love that you post on dental hygiene related experiences. Keep this up, I think it is very helpful to everyone.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had fun while you were here in Savannah. I had a great time too and it was really nice to finally meet some of Dave's family. You're welcome anytime!! I'm looking forward to getting to treeless Utah sometime and meeting the rest of your family. Thanks for coming... it meant a lot to Dave to see you and Karla!!!

ccb said...

Hi. Just a money saving tip if you're going to Savannah. If you’re going, check out trustedtours.com. They have some really good discount rates for Savannah tours. They have the best tour and attraction rates (at least from what I could tell).