Friday, February 08, 2008

Severe Perio

Ok, so I guess my life is not as boring and lame and I thought. I still feel a little weird when I sit and knit.....Leslie is a RDH in my office. She is great. She graduated from Dixie about 5 years ago and still does everything like in school. Which is good. So we still take blood pressures, pre-rinses, and barrier EVERYTHING. Anyway Leslie saw this patient who has the worst mouth ever. I have seen more calc but not more infection. His tissues are so inflamed. Parts of the gingiva are shiny red. Everything hurts. So I did one quad of SRP--LR. #30 was so mobile I could not believe it. I left calc on because I knew that if I scraped harder I would extract that thing. When I had 5 min left of my time I probed and freaked out. I was sinking that probe as far as it would go and was not touching bottom. so who really knows what the probe depths are. I immediately took a PA of that quad and saw the extensive bone loss on this 30 yr old hispanic male who had never been to the dentist. I tried to explain with my 7 words of spanish that he needed to go to a periodontist and even then I did not think many of the LR teeth could be saved. It was really hard to explain this to him--hence my need for a spanish course. Leslie saw him for the next 2 quads and then I was supposed to see him for the final one today but my Dr had an emergency and needed to leave town so he was rescheduled. Anyway his tissues look amazing. I popped in while Leslie was treating him and the quads that were done looked amazing even though we both know we did not have time to get all the calc off and know we missed some-which is another reason I am grateful for the 4-6 week reeval appointment!!!! Anyway I have enjoyed this challenging patient. He is so nice and worried about his teeth. I honestly think that he just had lack of education in the past and did not know how to care for his teeth. His homecare has improved and it really shows in his tissues. I love patients who challenge my skills and who are proactive in thier treatment/recovery.

Well, again it is Friday night and I am sitting home alone wondering what to do with my night....do I call that cute patient who is 8 years younger than me but who was obviously flirting? Do I just pull out the knitting? Do I finally give in and purchase Matchbox Twenty tickets for Vegas? Who knows maybe I'll just eat a bowl of cereal and call it good.....

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Seriously, you sound just like me! I sit home most every weekend night wondering what to do. I'm usually in bed by 10pm every weekend. What a loser I am. :)

The Obergs said...

Go with the matchbox twenty tickets, you know you won't regret it. I'm glad you're blogging again, I almost thought we'd lost you.

We are super boring too, it's a saturday night and we've both come to the realization that we don't want to do anything. I think everyone feels the same as you.

Congrats on your difficult patient, are you going to UDA this week? I hope to see you there.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking that "severe perio" would be a good name for a band.... :-)

Unknown said...

Yeah you are back, i check all the time! Are you coming to UDA this weekend??

Sounds like a patient i had last week. 34, just moved here from ethiopia and has never been to a dentist. When my office manager asked me how much time i thought i needed, i said, give me two and i will see if i can get a quad done! ha!!

Melissa said...

Hellooo!!! MatchBox 20 is coming to Phoenix...I'm in Phoenix...Get your butt down here!! You and the gals can come and hang out,catch the show and fill me in on your life. Just a thought..

cheeks said...

mmmm...matchbox 20 will not disappoint!! That's my vote!

while we are sharing about perio...i see a ton of pts from india here in Ohio. They, like many cultures outside of the US, have no clue about good OH. I just finished SCRP this guy--mid 30's--he freaks out about going to the dentist and fingers in his mouth. The 1st time i saw him he PULLED MY HAND OUT OF HIS MOUTH in the middle of my IA injection because he gags so easily. I couldn't believe it...he also got up to go to the bathroom like 5 times during his 2 hr appt, not to mention needing breaks like every 8 minutes to sit up for a breather. WOW, i think next time i WANT to refer a pt out to a periodontist my dr should listen to me!! PHEW, glad that's over with! Sometimes i wish we were still carpooling so we could share daily experiences and have someone to laugh about them with...these days i'm too frustrated to laugh! ha ha ha Anyhow, keep on keepin on!