Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Best Boss Ever

I have said this before; I have the best boss. And I am going to say it again....I have THE best boss. Nikki was our front office ninja. She is amazing. She chose to leave our office for one closer to her house--an office of 3 mormon dentist and 5 RDH and tons off staff...all in the same ward ha ha ha. Nikki is not LDS but knows the values and greatness etc. The person hired to replace her was Hannah. Stupid Hannah is what I said in my head when I thought of her. She changed things and I guess I hate change. But I was trying to be a team player. She would not sit with me at lunch. I figured I smelled. She would not go out to eat with Kym and me. We thought she was poor. Well Kym started hating her. Then Nikki calls Kym and says there is a position at her office for Kym. Kym interviews and gets the job. It is a job as Hygiene Coordinator. More hours, better hours and more pay. How can she refuse. So she gives her notice. I cry.
Dr M goes into a trance like state. Hannah is doing a jig. At the end of the day Dr M says Kym I cannot loose you what will it take to keep you. After a long talk it is decided that Hannah needs to go. The next day Dr M pulls me aside and confirms my dislike of Hannah.
Hannah is gone. Bonnetta has taken her place. I love Bonnetta. Well Bonnetta has been working without training of how our office does things....I mean a front office is a front office but there are little quirks etc. And since Hannah could not be asked to train her replacement Bonnetta is making a go alone. She is great. Well Dr M did payroll this week since Bonnetta has only worked 3 days. I get my pay stub from a panicked Dr since he knows we all have direct deposit. He was not aware that we got pay stubs ha ha ha ha. I look at mine and there is 10 extra hours. I was like wow I worked more than I thought. Upon further investigation I found out Dr M called in my hours wrong. He said he would take care of it.
An hour later he comes into my op and whispers...consider it a bonus but do not tell anyone.

WOW! I got paid 10 extra hours. Being honest and telling him totally worked out for me! How great is my dentist? He gives me insurance, 2 raises in 5 months, 10 hours free, he has given me so much. But the most important thing is this....he backs me up each and every time. I saw a patient who marked no on tobacco use in health history. His palate was grey and looked like a smoker. I found out he did start using tobacco 2 months ago. I told him his palate did not look right and that I would have sworn he had smoked for 20 years. Dr M backed me up and told the patient that he was probably prone to cancer and to stop right now....exactly what I said. My last office the DDS would have said watch it.
Then I saw this one area on the buccal mucosa on 30 that was not right. It was leukoplakic. It was the only spot. etc. Dr M talked to him and referred him to an oral surgeon. We have not heard back yet. One more patient had a 5 mm pocket on the mesial of 4 . Then 4 months later it was a 5mm. But the xray showed significant vertical boneloss. I pointed it out. Dr M probed and got the same and referred him to the periodontist. He said exactly what I said...that bone loss and recession was happening in this area. My last office....WATCH. They never backed me up when i saw tissue anomalies or tried to get patients to quit tobacco. I now have this great dr who appreciates me-he called me once on a Saturday to tell me that he valued my patient care ethics. He subbed at another office and the next day he came to work pulled me aside and gave me a raise for being a great RDH. He said the one at his friends office was horrible. I know he values me and I know he trusts my knowledge and opinion on our patients perio health. I am so lucky to work there. We are a great team.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

This is wonderful! I love where I work, but I will say this...the only way I know what kind of job I am doing is if someone complains. Which rarely happens, but when it does it is blown way out of porportion. I am so proud of the person you are! Grateful for your example to me.

Lizi Bates said...

YES!! You're awesome Mair! And I'm so glad you have an awesome boss, that is so cool! Working CAN be fun to do! I need to come get my teeth cleaned :)

Maria said...

You're such a great hygienist! I love this post. I wish I worked in such a great office. I've been temping and it's so depressing. I am so frustrated that I don't work at my dream corporate office. It's confusing and I feel totally lost. I hate looking for jobs and interviewing. It sucks.

Bren and Jen said...

Oh how I love it when you talk dental language. I have no idea what you are saying but I am still fascinated.

cheeks said...

that is so great! what a cool boss. it's so nice to have someone back you up and make you feel like your work and education wasn't a waste. enjoy that bonus!

Lori England said...

You are great! I have told you this before but bosses are willing to bend over backwards for their good employes, and obvously you are great!

Angie said...

You DO have a good boss! :-D