Saturday, April 14, 2012

9-Mile Canyon

Scott took Suzie and me to 9-Mile Canyon yesterday! The day started out with rising early and taking it slow. After a leisurely breakfast of strawberries and cream french toast we packed up and left Vernal. We got to Roosevelt and noticed it was almost time for Round Robin to open up. Round Robin is a local fast food place. It is only open when the owners feel like it. We got there at 11:31 am a mere one minute after it opened. We were 18th in line. Amazing huh?  My theory is that since the joint is only open a few weeks a year the crowds take advantage of it when it is open-much like Girl Scout Cookies. Well the lunch was quite unique and worth the stop. 

It is early afternoon and we are officially on our way. Quickly we ran into rain, hail, sleet and wind. Luckily it didn't last long causing the long dirt road to become mucky. The first stop provided a lot of petroglyphs. 
I was surprised and happy to discover the trail took you right up to the rock. I am glad people respect these artifacts. The next picture is one of my favorites, to me it looks like Santa being pulled by reindeer. In actualality the pictures are of small sheep and adult big horned sheep and a man next to several marks-could be kill count.

The canyon is large and high and impressive. The layers and layers are cool. There is a Freemont Indian Village spot in the canyon-it is just one room repilca. The Indians also made granaries to hold their food. The canyon has at least one. We could not find it. It is camouflaged really well.  

Even with all the road construction and our forgetting binoculars it was still a great day. I am so glad Scott took me and spoiled me and let me see the cool things that near to us.  I really loved the hundreds and hundreds of dear we saw! There was one meadow with about 6 deer and 2 antelope. The antelope were having a stand off with the deer. The antelope won. They ended up chasing the deer out of the meadow. I had no idea antelope were aggressive and deer who had more in number are sisssies!


4 comments:

Ruth said...

:)

Melissa Rees said...

So jealous of your motivation to get outside and enjoy nature! You guys rock!

cheeks said...

yay for all these fun new adventures scott is taking you on! the petroglyphs are so so cool!!

Lori England said...

Oh that looks like a cool place!