Friday, April 06, 2012

Just Another Adventure. . .

This is Fantasy Canyon. It is grey and dull but the formations are amazing!!!
When I think about how an ancient large lake cut and eroded this canyon, I am impressed at the time and layers that are found in the formations. In my opinion this is a breathtaking canyon!
To get the canyon we traveled through Ute Indian land, the canyon is on BLM land but the legend of the canyon is still Native American. The legend is on the website I linked to above but the short sum-up is that there were evil creatures who were tired of living in the dark and started to dig out of the earth. The coyote, wild horse, and eagles helped the Indians become aware of the need to stop the evil. The medicine chief prayed to the  great Wind of the West and dust was blown, the Rain God poured rain. These did not work to stop the evil. Finally the God of the North froze the evil with a great cold. They stand frozen in place. When the frost melted the dust covered them up and the evil creatures stand as a reminder not to destroy the green earth. 
There is a small 0.6 mile round trip trail around the formations. There are rods in the earth marking where certain formations are found. There are things like witch, flying dumbo, diving seal etc. My brain had a hard time finding the images in the rock. I blame it on my imagination. Although the following picture is of one I did see-a gargoyle. Can you see it?

The next one I saw was the throne. I am sure you can see this.

One of the unique things about the Uintah Basin is the presence of gilsonite. It is a natural asphalt type deposit that is found only here. There is a mine near Vernal and there is a vein in the Fantasy Canyon. I thought it was awesome to see the vein throughout the formations. Geology really is amazing! 

I wanted to show the different layers in the hills surrounding this wonderful canyon. All the colors and deposits intrigued me. My camera does not show the green layer. I have wondered and wondered what mineral or ore or deposit could be making such a green color. It was beautiful. In the following picture there is the beginning of the short trail outlined in rocks.

Utah's deserts are so fascinating to me. I find them beautiful and who can deny the exfoliation effects of the wind and the sand? I had the thickest layer of sand on my lips -stuck in my chapstick- my lips are nice and smooth now. 
Suzie came with us. She is finally getting old enough to be fun. We are standing by another formation I recognized--boxing bear. Can you see the cute bear standing up with his front paws out ready to box? 

Scott was so kind to surprise me with a trip to the canyon. I love how he knows that I would love to see the natural wonders and marvels that have been created for our joy. He knows that a 45 min drive and a walk/hike gives me more happiness than shopping. He knows I love driving and exploring with him!
I loved all the wild horses we saw on Ute land. I have seen cows, deer, antelope, and elk often, I have rarely seen wild horses-this is my 3rd time. I love them! It feels so old time western-ey. Especially when there is a dead bull decomposing with rib bones showing, bleaching in the sun and wind. If I wasnt in a car on a paved road I would have thought it was 1912.

Suzie is just now becoming inquisitive. She is about 7 weeks old and should still be with her mom and siblings but oh well. She knows her name, and knows when she pees inside she is in trouble, yet she will  play outside with me for 20  minutes come inside and jump on the bottom shelf of the end table and pee while looking right at me. . . . UGH! 


I took the above picture just now. Her cute little face is so sweet. She is trying to climb on my lap and type. Sheesh. Yesterday we took her with us while we got an oil change. The entire crew loved this little pup. Her face truly is adorable. Scott and Suzie are best of friends. She is a good pup. I am not sure I would be a good mother. I do love her but get frustrated sometimes. I dont enjoy licks of my face, or how Suzie loves to curl up on my neck and lay her head on my shoulder and her butt in my face, I dont love puppy breath, I dont love dog hair. I do love how Suzie gets a strip of cardboard that she found somewhere and attacks it and tosses it and jumps on it, I love how she full on runs to her food and water after being outside, I love how she can finally go down the steps. I love how she is so intrigued with the large neighbor cats.
I know puppies and babies are not the same. Yet Scott and I had that same thought one day when I was especially frustrated with Suzie.

4 comments:

Lori England said...

I love that you are taking trips. It is so interesting the indians. Love ya

Ruth said...

I KNOW you would be a wonderful mom! :) YAY for trips with your husband! I know that is something you have been wanting for a REALLY long time. You are such a wonderful friend.

cheeks said...

what a fun adventure....i'm am so intrigued by utah's diversity when it comes to southern and northern utah and everything in between! What a beautiful state to live in! those formations are so cool in your pics!

you'd be a great mom....we all have moments of frustration! Potty training can bring out the worst of people! :) haha!

Melissa Rees said...

Awww what a cute puppy and an even cuter couple!!