Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I am freaking out!!!!

Today I saw my fav hispanic patient with the cool calc rings I mentioned in a previous post. Well anyway, I am 1.5 hours into the 2 hour appointment to scale 2 quads when I reach for my trusty Montana Jack (yeah, I have one in each set up--how lucky am I?) when I notice that the tip is broken!!! I freak out! I look in the patient's mouth and I try to explain to him in part English and part Spanish that I broke the tip of my instrument and I do not know where the tip is. I felt pretty confident that he did not swallow it because I was having to suction everything out of his mouth. He was not swallowing even his own saliva-he just let it pool and then I sucked it out. Well my slow speed had nothing. My patient was so cute he was crawling on the floor with me looking for it. I told my Dr and he was fine with it. He did not think we needed to go and get a chest xray the patient did not either. So here I am freaking out but holding it together. My patient did ask if I was ok. He knew I was pretty upset about the situation. He told me in his broken English that it was ok and that he did not swallow it or aspirate it. It made me feel better knowing that he did not think I was negligent. I was having so much fun cleaning those rings of calc off his teeth and now the afternoon was spoiled. Man....It was really hard for me to pick up that Montana Jack for my next appointment. But I figured if the horse bucks you....

So RDH's let me know of your tales of glory! I would love to hear them.

My friend Von got a deer on Sat. He brought me the hind quarters and back straps. I cut them up and filled my freezer with meat! I am pretty lucky! I love this time of year! I love to see the whole town in their orange and 4 wheelers. It is so delicious to eat that first piece of venison fresh from the kill! Throw in some fresh apples from New Harmony and life is all apple pie again!!!!

4 comments:

Em said...

Um I don't know about the "fesh kill" stuff but I do so enjoy reading your blog. You know, it was my Montana Jack that I thought I would bust on my mock board too.

Aimee said...

I don't know how I'm going to survive the stress of the real board. I passed today, but I felt like I left so many spots when I'd only left one! Plus...how in the world do you wait 2 weeks to get back your results? Dental hygiene's gonna kill me! I gotta go have a coctail. Love ya girl! Thanks for giving me something to read every week!

BreAnna said...

I have not broken a tip yet, but I have done plenty of other things that got my heart pumping a little. I think you patient sound so cute, what a nice guy! Your office and Dr. seems great, which all of us in the field know can be hard to find! I do love the montana Jack, but I have this new instrument I am crazy about, it is not the 204 SD, just the 204S and it is a joy, also have you tried the new XP tips, they are the gold ones that dont need to be sharpened! They are so nice!

Em said...

I don't check my yahoo very often. Bj was one of the three musketer's. His two cousins where the other two.And my niece was a maiden. We made their costumes. I'll have to post a picture. Bj looks like a girl though with the blonde wig. It was freezing last night!!! Anyway it was way fun. How about you? Any wild parties????