Monday, October 15, 2007

How mean am I?

Time sure does fly when you are not paying attention! I cannot believe it has been so long since I last wrote. I really am surprised about my lack of posting! I mean this is my 'out'. This is where I come to dump all my emotion and frustration and triumphs! The only thing I can think of is that life has been life.

So down to business. This past weekend I went to Delta to help my parents move to another house in Delta. It was hard! My parents have lived in that house for 25 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff. It was funny to see what they held onto and what they let go. My mom was cleaning out our food storage room and found a apple box full of bread bags. Yup that is right bags bread comes in from the store! I just throw mine away but not my cute mom! She saved them! We convinced her to throw them out as well as the cottage cheese containers. Our winning moment was when we told her she would buy more bread and cottage cheese and could start her collection all over again! Really my mom is the cutest! My dad is just as bad. There were little boxes of .22 shells and washers and bolts etc that probably cost 78 cents all together and we just threw it out. Man it was like we (my brother Brent and I) had thrown away $100 worth of stuff. On our way to the dump Brent and I were laughing about how each generation looks at money differently. So bless the baby boomers who were raised by parents who had lived through the depression and saved every scrap of everything!!!

Now saving stuff is not all bad. I think I am very wasteful. I could definitely learn from the waste not want not theory! Reusing things is wonderful and very productive but I think there is a line that each of us need to draw for ourselves. Personally my line is drawn at bread bags and twisty ties....where is yours?

So needless to say I was a grade A witch! I snipped at everyone and hurt every ones feelings! I am cruel and at the time I was too mad to realize how irrational I was being. Moving sucks and I do not have to take it out on my family! To them I apologize and beg their forgiveness! I am so sorry I was mean and snotty and snippy! I am sorry I was not patient and understanding. I am sorry! I love you all very much and cannot wait to see you next weekend for round 2!

5 comments:

BreAnna said...

wow, moving is a lot, a lot of good, the cleaning out and starting over. a lot of bad, the leaving all those years of memories in that house. a lot of work, convincing parents to part with precious things, and a lot of patience, I dont think anyone can blame you for getting short when you are working with all of those emotions, and working hard. Your family seems so great, I love how close you guys are! I agree, twist tie and bread bags are not something I save, although grocery sacks I do, I wonder if my children will laugh at me about that. So true about each generation seeing money and avaliability different. My Grandma used to save aluminum foil, used it, washed it, folded it, and put it away.

Aimee said...

I hate recycling within my home. Eric on the other hand loves it. He has the biggest selection of those gas station soda cups in the 64 oz size. I just don't get it!

Anyway, to answer your question....no, my office isn't looking for a hygienist.

I hope you have a spooky Halloween!

The Obergs said...

Mary Ann, glad you're back. My parents are similar to yours in the fact that mostly everything gets saved. I have to admit that I do save twisty ties, but I reuse them so I feel justified. In a way I wish I was as frugal and diciplined as the baby boomers. Most the time I feel like I'm just throwing my money away.... I'm sure your family will forgive you for being ornery. I know mine always do.

Anonymous said...

Ah, moving! I'm doing that this weekend. Hopefully I'll have the courage to throw out all of my Wal-Mart bags from under the sink.... :-D

Unknown said...

The great thing about family is they are easy to jump all over, but also easy to forgive. I am glad you are back. I miss you!!!