Tuesday, November 27, 2007

T-day wishes!

Well, I hope everyone's Tday was spectacular. Mine was pretty good. I have to admit. I was surprised that I survived the whole experience.

So work has been amazing. Yesterday I saw a patient who was last seen 12 months ago. She had pretty significant interproximal calc on her lower anteriors. She also had been to the periodontist and had a gingival graft on 23-26 on Halloween Oct 31. The tissues looked alright. They were a bit errythemic and bled easily. I did not dare probe. I did not dare scale to aggressively. Am I wrong? I am kind of surprised the periodontist did not scale up the teeth really quick before doing the graft. Anyway since that was my first recent graft I kind of made up what I was supposed to do. Does anyone know for sure?

5 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm glad to see you have a new post! I was beginning to get worried! Glad to hear you're holiday went well. I can't believe it's December in a few days!

Unknown said...

Scale, scale, scale!! And very good question, that much tarter after a graft? I too am surprised a periodontist would not want those impeccable....Hmm.....

How are you??

The Obergs said...

I love that you pose questions because you always get so many great answers to things that I have never even thought about. Glad your thanksgiving was great.

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! I think I got his thing to work!! Woo Hoo!! I miss the heck out of you. Sounds like I missed a a stellar show at the Dental Hygiene convention. That kind of guts and gore is right up my ally. Hope all is well with you. Things are good here in AZ. Terry is doing his rotations now, and his first one is at a Prison!! He has some very yucky stories to tell me every night. I really really want you guys to come visit!! We will be moving back to Utah next August or so, but it would be cool to have you guys come visit. Keep up the good posts!!

BreAnna said...

So I am out of the loop, but can I still put in my 2 cents? I have to say I agree with you about the calc, wierd he didnt remover it prior. I would have taken the same precaution you did, I would be suspicious that the graft never had a chance to entirely heal due to the cross contamination from the lower anterior calc. The bacteria could be causing the poor tissue appearance rather than calc/baterica around and in the actual grafted tissue. I think I would have cleaned the rest of the mouth, gone really easy on the grafted area and see if that doesn't improve the tissue quality. It would be a shame if it was inflammed due to accesory bacteria non localized and then it was scaled to aggressively. To me it seems it may never have had a chance to get to its peak. That is just what I would have done, and I am wrong a lot I am sure, and thanks for the questions it always makes me think about just what it is I am doing, rather than just doing.