Saturday, March 15, 2008

Practice does not make perfect!

So I cleaned this mans teeth. It was pretty much interpoximal and sub. So I used the cavitron aka ultrasonic. I know I was rushed to finish his cleaning in the time allowed but I felt that I did an alright job. That was 2 months ago. He came in yesterday and had to have a partial root canal tx. I was curious to see what that entailed since I have not been an assistant and am pretty clueless when it comes to dental work. So I pulled up his digital xrays and guess what was right under the contact of 30-31....yup calculus! I immediately pulled up the first BWX I took 2 months ago and the calc was there in that one. I thought I had removed it but guess what....I suck! I need to go back to remedial scaling school! I am so embarrassed. I want to go to that man's house and clean that calc off there. It has taken me over a year to understand why WSU professors required me to go to extra VA sessions to get more practice. When I asked the professors what I needed to focus on to improve my skills I could not get a straight answer. They seemed unsure why I was in extra sessions and to take it as a gift for extra tutelage. I did. I am really grateful for the opportunity I was given in school. Today I realize why.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not the first or last hygienist to leave a piece of calc. We are really time constrained. That is a hard thing for us hygienists. We are such perfectionists, but just remember sometimes we wont get everything. IT IS OK! Next time you see him, you can plunk it off! Don't stress, it happens to all of us! You are great!

The Obergs said...

I will echo everything that Jess just said so I will just say Ditto.

I've done the same thing so don't worry. By the way, I will never hear about Rob Thomas or MB20 without thinking of you! Glad you had fun.

Lindsey said...

That is a bad feeling. I always take a BWX after SRP just to make sure this doesn't happen. It is hard because you flying blind. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Trust me!