Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sweet Potato and Gingerbread

This weekend has been a bit more productive than last weekend. I had my step daughter. The plan was to celebrate Christmas. Dan went grocery shopping and picked up some sweet potatoes.


Then expected me to make a pie. I was up for the challenge. Here is the before picture. The butter was a bit chunky...(probably because it was frozen and not quite thawed ha ha ha)



This is the after picture. I have to admit I have never eaten a sweet potato. I have had yams but no sweet potato. I was scared of them. As I was cooking them they smelled an awful lot like regular potatoes. I am not a fan of potatoes, but this delicious pie was great. It was very much like a pumpkin pie. I really liked it.
It looks a little burnt but it is not I assure you.







My next adventure was to make gingerbread houses. This is mine. I started off with Necco wafers for the roof but ran out and had to use starlight mints for the other side of the roof...I am not very good at this.














I love that I have junk in the background of all my pictures. I feel like a slob. I tell myself I am not and I believe myself but pictures tend to show the truth.


Well all in all the weekend went alright.




11 comments:

Lori England said...

Do not look in the background of any of my pictures! How fun a step mom are you! I am scared of sweet potato pie. I beleive that yams and sweet potatos are the same but I will check that out and let you know. My kids would love to do a gingerbread house.

The Obergs said...

oh mary ann, look at you! You did it! You made this pie all by yourself. I'm so impressed, it really looks like it turned out great. Good job.

cheeks said...

congrats on a successful weekend! i like your gbread house....it has character! i don't know if i've ever had a taste of sweet potato pie...but i do like sweet potatoes!

MAMELONS....i thought about that very day that you commented on while i typed that post! i will forever think of you whenever i hear that word!! i also remember from our conversation that you are the oldest of 6 kids!

Ruth said...

Good for you making the pie!!! I am glad things went good for you this weekend!

Lori England said...

Technicaly they are different, but not by much and they are easly interchangeble. Basicaly it is where they are grown. Who knew?

vicki said...

Your gingerbread house is darling!!!! I absolutely adore sweet potato pie. I want some!

Brent said...

Hey Mair, it is Jenni. I just got way excited to see you by reading your blog. We cant wait to have christmas with you. Yeah

Maria said...

You're a regular Betty Crocker! My kitchen would explode if I tried to cook anything. It is scared of me.

Those pies look so yummy and your gingerbread house is too cute!

Melissa Rees said...

How creative are you?! Wish I had that much energy. The gingerbread house is adorable!! I hope to see you before Christmas!

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

hey, its not junk, its what you used... at least youre not like this one girl who took a picture and posted it on myspace..ya know how most myspaceish pictures are taken in the bathroom..well the girl didnt flush the toilet! it had so much POOP in it! i feel bad for her slightly. oh my gosh, i can count how many days til i see you! before i had to ask mom.. haha! love you!!

Angie said...

Remember that one time in Cedar when we made gingerbread houses and that one guy made "The Projects" with a dumpster and everything?! HAAA!!! :-D