Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Quest

When I was in Delta Utah visiting my parents my father gave me this stone. He has had it for years and years. . . longer than I have been alive. He found this stone in the hills of Colorado. He has decided to issue me a quest. He asked me to find a jeweler who could identify the stone, treat it, and make some jewelry for my mother.I accepted this quest with much honor. Ever since I moved to Portland my relationship with my father has been strained. I have seen how my brother Brent has stepped into the spot of family savior. I love it. I love not having the pressure to be perfect for my family. Anyway this quest made me feel like I was trusted again. Like I was allowed back into the inner sanctum of my family. It has been an honor and adventure discovering what this stone truly is.
I found a jeweler who is a gemologist who was eager to help. I made the trip to her store and she examined this stone. She was eager to see it and identify it. She is a rock hound that is for sure. After seeing the air bubble in the center she sighed and said it was a piece of natural glass. Glass that was formed naturally is the only stone that can preserve such a perfect air bubble. So my quest is over. I do not get to design jewelry nor pass on a legacy. It is a sad day. So while I did not fail my quest; it is over.

8 comments:

Maria said...

That is a cool story. It could still be a pretty piece of jewelry. That's nice that you and your dad are getting on better.

Bren and Jen said...

I am sad that the stone/glass is nothing. At the same time I am laughing pretty good because you dad was so sure it was going to be worth a lot of money. Poor Anthon.

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

yes, poor poor anthon! why cant any off us catch a break?! remember his gold? its not real apparently. sad. i bet in a couple weeks the oil well dries up! i was wondering how your quest was going. at least it was fun going on it.. uh the family kinda fell apart and it was really jenni who put us all back together...its just brent gets the credit cuz he is a blue eyed picky pie! love you mair~mair!

Ruth said...

That is an awesome story and I am glad things are better with your dad!

cheeks said...

well....i think it's kinda cool that it's naturally formed glass, at least!!! :) sometimes i think it would be nice to not have to be the glue holding the family together....or the only "normal" one :) ha ha! glad things are getting better w/ you and your dad!

The Obergs said...

hello Mary Ann! Long time no comment, Why? Because I had no idea that you were private again! I must have missed it when I was out of town and just recently I was thinking to myself "why hasn't my google reader told me about Mary Ann's blog updates?" I went to your blog and lo and behold, you were private again!

Anyway, I caught myself up on all of your postings and I just have to say that I'm rooting for you. You definitely deserve someone who treats you right and if Josh is that person then I say go for it.

Angie said...

Natural glass is from lightning strikes, right? I vote to still turn it into jewelry! That's way cool!

Also, I'm glad your dad is starting to come around. I've been keeping my fingers crossed on that one for ya. :-)

vicki said...

Really great story and I would STILL have it made into jewelry. It's a lovely piece of glass!