Saturday, September 11, 2010

Does Pie Mean Autumn? Or Brent?

Here is today's cooking installment. I made fresh raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry pies. I made up the filling recipe.  . . some lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon/sugar. I smells divine.
 
Oregon has some amazing berries. I found these at the local farmers market. I have become spoiled by the huge and varied farmers markets here. Every neighborhood has one. Flowers, plants, melons, beans, squash, nuts, onions, berries, peaches, apples, mint, basil, dill, are just a few of the things you can get here. At the one in my neighborhood you can also get fresh kettle corn, pancakes, sandwiches, pastries, breads, etc.
The artisans who make their wares come and sell them every Saturday from 8-12. It is a huge market place. A lot of them have samples. I love the peach samples. There are too many varieties. . . same with berries. I am really excited for my little pies.
A friend requested I cook when she comes to Washington and we get together. I admit I was shocked. I cant cook! I thought about how in the world she would even think that and I realized my blog is all about food. I did some retrospecting and food is a major part of my life. I love it. I love preparing it, shopping for it, planning for it and eating it! Mmmmm. I do admit I am a better baker than cook. But I loved watching Master Chef. I want to learn how to cook. I checked out a couple books from the library and read them. So now I need someone to cook for. I have to admit it is hard to cook for one. Especially when I can be just as satisfied with fish sticks. Living here has expanded my palate. I have tasted spices and combinations I never thought possible. Who knew I liked mint leaves in my spring rolls (cabbage, carrots, shrimp, lettuce, sprouts and mint). My previous conception of mint was for tea or dessert. Not lunch! But I love it! I love pickled carrots! I like lemongrass! I like basil beef! It has been so fun! Well I better go enjoy a warm pie!
(so my brother Brent's nickname is Pie. . . from the poem our grandpa quoted all the time....Blue eyed pickey pie run around and tell a lie. Brown eyed beauty do your mamma's duty. )

And one momemt of silence (or blank space) for 9/11




8 comments:

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

that pie look really good!!!!! brent and jenni went away for the weekend and im sure thats what jenni is saying right about now! lol! loves!

Ruth said...

Yummy!!!!! When I get to OR, I shall cook for you and you can bake for me! Together we could conquer the food world!!!!

Angie said...

Hate to break it to you, but you can cook. :-D

Also, thank you for the moment of silence/blank space for 9-11. Your patriotism is always inspiring. :-)

Lizi Bates said...

Yummmmmmy! Farmers markets are the best!! And actually pie is even better! That's awesome that you're getting in to cookin' I'm so out of practice since I haven't cooked in 8 months, the hardest part is deciding what to make. I wish we lived closer b/c then you could cook for me :) hehe

Maria said...

Ya, no kidding! You are an amazing cook! I really wish I was able to come visit. I could use some face to face girl talk with you amidst all the gorgeous scenery.

(Lol, my word verification is 'tuition'. Don't remind me!!)

vicki said...

GIRL!!! What I wouldn't do for one of those pies!!

cheeks said...

MaryAnn....those look FABULOUS!!! you can totally cook....you've always got great looking food on here! i have to say i'm more of a baker as well...but i have to have a recipe! i'm super impressed you just whipped up some pie filling :)

the farmers markets sound wonderful...we haven't really done much of that cuz there aren't any close local ones. i'm all about the idea of supporting the local farmers though :)

fyi...my friends mom brought her some pumpkin from utah yesterday and she shared a WHOLE plate of pump/choc.chip cookies w/ me! i'm a happy girl!

The Obergs said...

gotta love those farmer's markets. Mary Ann you should sell your little pies at the market! I would buy them for sure, they look absolutely divine.

And by the way, I'm with you girl. I'm ALL ABOUT FOOD! I've realized that every fun event in my life is centered around food.