Friday, November 05, 2010

This Week

I made this gift bag this week. It is white with red and green speckles. I think it will be a cute Christmas bag. It needs a ribbon to complete the whole bag.

Yesterday I arrived at work at 6:20 am. I needed some cash and ran to the ATM about 3 blocks from my office. Downtown Portland streets are covered in homeless sleepers at this time of day. I had to step over some to get to the ATM and prayed I would be safe. I get my cash and head to my office. I look down the street and see this.

It is really quite beautiful and peaceful in person. I am not a photographer and cannot capture the emotion of the scene.

I have really really enjoyed working in downtown Portland. It can be full of crazies and weirdos but what city doesn't. And what I like even more than the wee hours of the morning lights is the fall colors

This is the view from my op. There is fog on the West Hills and it is just lovely. The leaves are vibrant and wonderful.
I am so happy to be working in an office with such an amazing view. It really is wonderful watching it through out the day. Watching the marine layer of clouds burn off as the sun comes up. I love watching the sun hitting the West Hills as the sun comes up. It is completely wonderful.

I am in a conflict. My office has been slow. I am only working 3 days a week and usually go home early. I love my office. Everyone there is perfect. We are a great team. I need more. I have been trying to find a Monday job and have not been successful. Do I quit and take a full time position with a dentist who is not as great but I get the hours? Do I stick out the slow times in hope that they will get better? I have sold my truck and cut back my personal expenses. I am trying to make things work. I do not want to quit. My mind wonders if I should move to Utah. I miss my family and friends. I am alone here in Portland. The job market in Utah scares me very much. How can I survive in that environment? I am not a cute skinny Utah perky woman. I feel I would be passed up on jobs because of my looks and not my skills. So I guess I will stay here in this great office and ride out the slow times. Unless anyone knows of an office who wants a great hygienist!

3 comments:

cheeks said...

photographer or not, i think these pics of the city look awesome!!! and...kudos to you for braving the homeless sleepers! you do have a tough decision to make....although, i think it is slow everywhere :( sometimes the grass looks greener, but i also think where you have roots at this office now, they will try to make it worth it for you, especially because your boss loves you and has always treated you so well...as to if you started in a new office they might not be as loyal to the "new girl" if things started to slow down.

that might not have made any sense! did it?!?!?

cute gift bag! way more exciting than the $.50 cent dollar store ones my gifts go in!

Ruth said...

Oh the ability to make my own gift bags. That is something that escapes me. Apparently the cute skinny girl is something that eludes me as well. In the Salt Lake valley, they pay well and hire girls that are not cute and or skinny. You are a beautiful girl that any office would be lucky to have. I know there is at least one temp office too. Maybe check it out and see. You could always stay with your family there, until you get settled. Just a thought...

Maria said...

Yes, definitely ride out the slow times in OR at your cute office. Having peace and sanity at work is priceless. Stop bashing on your looks!! Try being me and only having men stare at your chest and then you still can't get a job! Grr...

Have you tried a temp agency up there? It might be worthwhile if you want a couple more days.