Monday, November 01, 2010

I love self portraits. I am a salt shaker. Pepper was missing. Hmmm where is he?

This is my friend and visiting partner Janice. She has been my therapy for many a sad day. Together we made 40 lbs of apples into 6 roasting pans of apple crisp.

I am on the activities committee with Janice. We had to start setting up at 9 am for a 6 pm party.I helped assemble this scene. It is hanging from the ceiling with fishing line. I was the helper to a contractor who is one of the sexiest men in my ward. I am so happy to report he is happily and lovingly married.

I also hung two spiders from the ceiling, and several umbrellas with spiders and bats and beads hanging from them.

I did not put the pots on the tables full of sparkly easter grass type stuff with spiders and skeletons on top of cheese cloth.
I was in charge of homemade root beer since I was the only Utah mormon on the committee. Everyone was fascinated that I knew how to make it. And that I had the recipe in my head. I was shocked they had never had it before. Weird Oregonians. I can find anything I want in the grocery store from gluten free flours and mixes to natural toothpaste and churizo so it did not occur to me that root beer flavoring was not available. I drove around forever trying to find it. Janice found it at a cake decorating specialty shop. It was hard candy flavoring. So I had to do math since it is 4x as strong as extract. It was still really strong. I ended up watering my first batch down. The worst part of it was since it used little flavoring it was a pale dirty brown color. Not a rich color. It looked like watered down soda but it was not. It was full of flavor and was a big hit. Most of the ward members had never had homemade root beer. Children were fascinated with the dry ice effects and the adults were intrigued with the overall concept and product. It was a hit.
I enjoyed this party of over 250 people. Almost everyone dressed up-adults included. It was so much fun even though I was chained to the root beer table making sure everyone had 7 oz of drink. Yes, the committee chair is a little OCD or something. Last party they had to measure 150 balloons with a tape measure to ensure they were all identical. We had to measure the umbrellas and beads on the ceiling. It was time consuming. Then I was told to get 9 oz cups and put 2 oz ice and 7 oz root beer into each cup. Hilarious! I so did not. I gave people what they wanted even refills! We did run out but not until the very end so I feel good about it. Overall it was a fun party and I am glad I went. I usually avoid ward family parties being single and alone.

8 comments:

cheeks said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed by your ward activities committee! SEriously, that party looked amazing! I can't believe all the time and EXACT measurements that went into it. Really, i love that you are an OCD RDH and didn't give 2oz of ice and 7oz rootbeer! haha! i think i might struggle if i was on the committee w/ someone MORE OCD than myself! :) How strange that rootbeer extract is so hard to come by outside of UT...i'll have to see if it's a rare item in OH! Way to be the rootbeer hero! I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself! Does your ward go all out for every activity like this??

Mary Ann said...

This was my first one. The ward was formed one year ago. Two weeks after I moved in. I hear they are over the top. I think it is our chair who makes it that way.

I challenge anyone to deny another ladle of root beer to cute little primary kids dressed as witches who politely asked for more. My heart melted they were so cute.

Lizi Bates said...

Wow I don't think I've ever seen a ward go to so much effort for such extreme partying! The decorations looked awesome and I'm so glad you introduced home-made root beer and even gave refills, haha. Good for you for going and having fun!

p.s. that bag you made is adorable!

The Obergs said...

holy cow, that activities committee is intense. I don't think I could even do that kind of math. Your party looked really great though, better than any other ward party I've seen, so maybe the exactness is the secret.

Homemade rootbeer is a Utah thing? Who knew? People are seriously missing out.

I love your costume, so clever! Don't worry about not having pepper. I usually only like salt anyway.

Melissa Rees said...

Behind, again. Ok so don't feel bad about the Coach and Gucci bags. I didn't even KNOW what Coach was when I moved to AZ. Everyone had them, and I seriously asked the dentist what all those purses were that had C's all over them. Yep, I'm dumb. And don't feel bad about blind date not calling you back. It totally happened to me like 13 years ago and I STILL think about it and get way pissed! (the guy was so cute...) I LOVE your costume. I did not occur to me to dress up this year. I did wear a ghost headband, so I guess that counts. And I've never made homemade rootbeer, so you are also my hero :)

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

looks amazing! the hours and hours of decorating really paid off! one for the history books! ps my word verification is fiestiumm fiesta and autumn combined! how wonderful because thats what you had! an autumn fiesta! im calling halloween that from now on!!

cheeks said...

over the top?? sounds about right :) but fun that you get to be a part of it! i'll be looking forward to a christmas party post!! and yeah...how do you really tell anyone they've had their "lot" of rootbeer for the night?!

Bren and Jen said...

I love your costume, I am glad you are a utah mormon and were able to show off your super ann skills. Miss you, but I get to see you real soon. Yea