Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Holidays!

Our little tree and Santa were so cute I had to post them again.  Our little Christmas was exactly what I wanted and needed.  I am so thankful for Scott and his thoughtfulness and control! Scott spoils me daily and he showed great restraint in keeping our Christmas small.  
Notice the long present in the front of the above picture.

That long gift was a 2 quart thermos for Scott. He was thrilled and surprised! Last night Scott had to work a graveyard shift and so we tested this bad boy out.  At 8 pm it was -2 outside and we knew it would only get worse as the sky was clear.  Scott layered up and I filled up the thermos with hot cocoa (props to cannery cocoa!). Scott got home this morning around 8:30 am and I poured out the remaining cocoa-as I did I touched it and was SHOCKED to be burned! Granted I put boiling water into the thermos 12 hours ago and while the cab of the truck was not in the negatives it was probably 60, I figured that the liquid would have cooled enough to touch. I was honestly expecting lukewarm cocoa.  Scott was thrilled to have actual HOT cocoa all night long as he was out in the snow hauling water which frequently freezes between locations so he has to use blow torches to thaw the valves so the water transfer can happen. Here is to Stanley and their thermos making! They sure made a good one!

Scott suddenly got Christmas Eve off.  He was supposed to work but thanks to a frack being postponed 4 days he found himself without work for 3 days.  Even though it means loosing hours I was secretly happy.  One day there was a sale on the big shrimp at the store. I got one pound which was only 13 shrimp.  They were monstrous.  They have been in my freezer for a while and I decided to try making my own shrimp cocktail.  I boiled the shrimp in spices and make my own cocktail sauce.  It was so wonderfully delicious! I want to make it again for New Years Eve!

I also treated Scott to a wonderful Christmas dinner! We got a little prime rib roast.  We make a rub (salt, peppercorns, garlic, thyme) and cooked it.  It turned out quite nice.  I was impressed.  Scott enjoyed the horseradish and potatoes. I even tried some potatoes with all sorts of good/bad stuff in them and I liked it! It was such a good dinner. It does make me wonder what a REAL good prime rib would taste like. One day I will eat the prime cuts of prime rib that gets sent to New York and Texas and probably cost more than 20 of the ones I can get in Utah. But how happy would that bite be?!? I cannot wait to try it.
After our huge dinner we went with Scott's mom to the movies. We saw The Hobbit.  I enjoyed it very much even though I missed my family very much. 

1 comment:

Jami said...

yay for time off....i think i would secretly enjoy it as well ;) That thermos sounds amazing, and scotts job sounds soooo cold! So, if he gets sick of hot cocoa, you guys should try (if you haven't yet) the Stevens brand citrus cider/wassail. It was gifted to us this year and is so dang good!!