Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ethical or Money Maker

Well friends, here I sit, wondering who I am and what kind of dental hygienist I want to be/have been/will be. It is a deep question. In school I was frequently told that I do not talk to my patients professionally; while I thought I was having wonderful appropriate bonding conversations with may patients. I have constantly shifted gears to change my behavior to match the person in my chair. For example, I am silent and only talk to give information related to procedure for those who do not want to chit chat and just want silence. I chit chat about weather, indoor soccer, home school, local events, and ward boundary changes. I change to calling the suction a vaccum, the air/water syringe is also a squirt gun--it just depends on who is in my chair. I really try to individualize teeth cleanings. To make them fun, relaxing, a place to learn, a place to talk and share all depending upon the needs of my patients.

Working in Portland I got in the habit of not taking xrays very often. Dr Mueller did not think it was necessary to take xrays every 6 months or even every year. Some patient who had several years of cavity free visits then Dr M would put them on a 2 year xray schedule. Our treatment of the patient was 100% individualized. I had one patient who came every 9 months, one who came every 2 months. It was all tailored to what the patient needed to have a healthy mouth.

I move back to Utah and Dr Turnbow in Duchesne likes xrays every year. So that is what I do. I also work for Dr Monfredi who pays me on commission. It is customary to take xrays every 6 months no matter what. I did this because I did not want to rock the boat and I thought I was only there during a maternity leave. When I became permanent I have noticed that I have backed down. If the patient has not had a cavity in 2 years then I will not take xrays. Dr M has not said anything to me. I am sure he wants the production. I want the production. I mean I love the large paychecks I get with Dr M. I get bitter when I go to Duchesne and make an hourly wage which is low--but still more than flipping burgers--I get bitter. I know that the front office girl in Duchesne gets a bonus when the office makes production goals. I dont. So I do the bare minimum for Dr T. I do not take pano xrays unless I have to. I dont push for SRP 1-3 teeth, or fluoride treatments etc. But I do at Dr M. I have realized that do take more xrays just because insurance will pay for it. It is a spot I do not like.

Part of me says it does not matter, the patient does not pay for it, the insurance does. The other part of  me says I do not need to excessively take xrays. I love making $*00 to $^00 a day. I love it! It makes me proud to work hard and get paid well. I love having the goal and the reward. I do not want to be one of those over treatment dental professionals.  I want to treat each patient individually. I want to give them the best care that I can. My plan is to keep working hard, taking xrays, giving fluoride treatments and diagnosing periodontal disease. I am going to walk the fine line between needed treatment and making large paychecks. I feel that is the best choice for me. I am not going to feel pressure from co workers to bill differently. I am going to do what I know is right.

No comments: