Monday, November 14, 2005

I can make maple syrup

This post is really for me so I am sorry if my vast reading base is bored with it.

I worked with a pharmacist this past week who was actually nervous about finding a job. Albertsons corporation is currently for sale, so there is a little bit of uncertainty and instability. He is worried that if Smiths or Walgreens etc bought Albies out then he would be out of a job. I laughed inside!! Holy cow, everywhere I work there is a shortage of pharmacists. He really could get a job anywhere! Well, he explained to me why he was nervous. He said that pharmacy had made him a lot of money but he had no skills. Counting by fives and pouring pills from bottle to bottle is not a marketable skill. I said he did so much more than that. I said he knew how the drugs worked in the body, and that he was an expert with health insurances. He pretty much laughed--again not marketable skills in other Ares besides pharmacy.

As the day went on he learned a little bit about me. I told him my brother had just moved in with me and I made French toast one morning and pulled out the store bought maple syrup. Brent (my bro) said it was blasphemous to have such a product in my home! I told him I did not use syrup enough to make it and since the store bought goo has a 90 year shelf life that is what I use. The pharmacist stopped my story right there. He said you actually know how to make your own syrup? As any of you know making syrup in no big deal you boil a little water and sugar and bam you have syrup, so I was shocked again by him. He was so impressed with the small skill of making my own syrup, and I am impressed that he knows how Detrol stops your bladder from contracting and making you pee all the time! As I left he said whatever happens in the company and in life just remember you know how to make maple syrup.

The point I am slowly making is that I have skills and intelligence. I can do great things even though I feel like I am a failure and that I am too old to be starting a career. Most days I feel like I missed the success boat and that I will never have a family, house, garden, boat etc that we Americans love to have. But guess what? I can make maple syrup!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Girl, give yourself more credit than that! You are so awesome and I am so lucky to be able to call you my friend. I am doubting that I will ever meet Mr. Right (hell, I'll even settle for Mr. Okay right now), and I really feel like there's got to be more to life than dental hygiene. Not sure what to do. I wish I was one of those cool, outgoing people who has tons of friends and connections. Actually, I wish I was cool enough that I could meet a hot rock star like Dave Gahan or Bono or Sting and live happily ever after in rock and roll heaven. I hope you see where I'm going with this. We always want what we haven't got and I think humans are genetically programmed to not see how great we as an individual are. Otherwise, how would Dr. Phil have such a successful job?

So anyway, don't get down on yourself because it's not worth it. And just remember that someone in Utah County thinks you're awesome!

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

I can make maple syrup too!!!!! Ryan was always scared of it so he never ate pancakes w me. this yr thats all i eat! pancakes! Brandon and Daniel love the fact that i actually make it! all the other girls have store bought. yeah they pretty much love me!!! read my blog to see the latest news! Loves! oh im going home tue!

Melissa said...

Ha Ha Ha!! You so funny!! Anyone who can make me laugh out loud after a %*#@! clinic day has something going right in their life. Don't get to down about Mr. Hottie in the radiology room. I sure he couldn't possibly be more hot than Gerard. Thanks for a good post!!

Jami said...

Oh Maryann, thank you for this post! It took me back to the good ol days of mom making syrup! I NEVER once growing up had store syrup in my moms house...and i always thought it was funny she made it, but she homemade everything. Just this morning i made waffles and pulled out the old store-bought "goo" feeling a little guilty as i looked further back into the cupboard at my unopened bottle of maple flavoring. I have reverted to the lazy ways! I think next sunday i'll be making syrup, just because of you! I think you are great! Without your skills and experiences our class just wouldn't be the same. You have a great attitude and fabulous leadership skills! You are a great pres and i appreciate all your hard work!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! Good for you! :-D