Monday, November 28, 2005

Smoked or Construction Paper Turkeys

Which one is better? I really do not know the answer to that question. My mother smoked a turkey this year. It turned out to be one of the best ones she has made so far! She did have a hard time 'lighting the turkey', luckily she is used to all the teasing! A tradition of our family is to take the left over turkey and make a turkey Dorito casserole. This years rendition was the best! Using smoked turkey in the recipe is the only way to go! I can still taste the cheesey, smokey turkey and chip concoction 2 days later!

For those of you who can remember being in grade school and taking a piece of old school construction paper, tracing your hand on it and decorating it with feathers. Well, that is what my entire family did after lunch on Thanksgiving. Daniel (my bro who came during mockboards) thought it was a lame idea, but after the peer pressure got to him he joined in! We took all of our turkeys and mailed them to my brother who is attending boot camp in Kentucky. We all laughed so hard at our turkeys. Everyone's personalities came out in them. My sister who is known for flipping the bird when she was younger made her turkey and cut out the fingers! My mom was shocked while the rest of us just laughed. This summer my siblings and I went to Yellowstone. My brother, Brent made a video tape of our adventure, but it ended up being a documentary regarding all the 'poop' in the area. So Daniel make his turkey with a pile of poop on it. It was the most fun I have had with construction paper, glue and markers! I just hope Dave (bro in Kentucky) gets harassed for having a crazy turkey family!

I know Korbin wanted me to bring a pic of my family. Well, this is my fam! This is my sisters blog and the pic was taken at Christmas last year (2004). Starting on the back row going L to R we have my father Anthon Jones, my mother Susan Jones, 3rd bro Brent Jones (he lives with me), 1st bro Dave Jones, 2nd bro Daniel Jones, my brother-in-law Matt Bishop. Front row is my youngest sis Jo Ann Jones, ME, Lori Bishop. Lori is holding her daughter Shay Bishop and Ty Bishop is sitting on a chair in the front. This is my fam! I have to say they are the best! I hope your family gatherings will be as great as mine this holiday season! Please share your stories!

5 comments:

Jami said...

Maryann! I am still laughing! The turkey story was even better the second time around! I love that you sent them to your brother in boot camp. HE will seriously love them! Nothing beats the heart felt gifts! I think your family sounds so fun! The birdie and the poop...that's great! Thanks for sharing your stories!

Anonymous said...

I am here to make you smile!

Maria said...

Sounds like you had a great Turkey Day! Okay, I really miss you and Korbin and Heidi and Melissa keeps saying how much fun she's having going out to lunch and being in clinic. Please don't forget about me!! I want to get together before you guys go back home for the holidays, okay?

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

I love that you put a link to my blog...good thing i only have two pictures on that page. Dave is in Basic Training...way dif than boot camp. Loves anyway!!! see you at Christmas! Mom said we were sleeping together for three whole weeks...hahaha you might kill me!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now if you'd only made grocery sack Indian vests too......