Sunday, November 20, 2005

To be a super ninja hygienist & pharmacist

Today I went to the UPhA (Utah Pharmacist Association) mid-year conference. It was interesting to compare it to the dental hygiene conferences. I have to admit that dental hygienists are a tad more 'professional' than nerdy pharmacists. This organization is a little slow in the making. They were selling turttlenecks with UPhA on it. There were only 4. Now I thought SADHA was small.

I have been hearing rumors about a private pharmacy school opening up in West Jordan. Well the rumors were confirmed. The school will be accepting their first class in the fall of 2006. For about 1/1,000,000 of a second I considered applying. I love pharmacy, but I have another year of pre-reqs then 4 years of pharmacy school. Private schools tend to accept people with less pre-reqs and are finished in shorter time (3 years--all year, no summer break). After that agonizing 1/1,000,000 of a second I woke up. How can I support a private school, no matter the profession? I am against private dental hygiene schools. They threaten my future as a hygienist. While pharmacists are a little more benign on the subject, I know that if I was a pharmacist I would be against a school coming into my area and saturating the workforce with 100 grads a year! So, I guess I will not be applying even though I really want to. I mean 3 years to be a pharmacist versus 5 years definitely has great appeal, but how can I (here comes that dreaded E word) ethically attend this school? Then I ask myself, who cares where you went to school as long as you are a good hygienist and pharmacist does it really matter? I don't know what to tell myself.

One great thing that was taught at the Top 10 Things a Pharmacist can do to Help their Diabetic Patients CE (continuing ed) was #10. ask the pt how often they brush and floss their teeth. The speaker really emphasized how easy (only 5 seconds) it was to ask their diabetic pts if they had been to their dentist lately and if they brush twice daily and floss at least once daily. I was really impressed with his lecture. He even went so far as to say they if a pharmacist would refer a pt, and even take an extra step to make the appoint right then, the dentist would be glad to know there was a pharmacist out their to help their diabetic patients, which results in more business for both parties. I really thought that was great!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey Maryann,
I didn't know you had a seperate blog for clinic!! Your post was soooo funny!! You make me laugh everytime I read you blog. Terry is right here by me and he can't figure out why I am lauging so hard. I could tell you had a pretty crappy day on Thursday, much like the one I had the week before. Words of advice? I don't know!! But if you have some, let me know.
Here's Terry : "F#@$ the U of U!