Friday, May 18, 2007

Packing Cord

After working full time as a hygienist for almost a year I think I finally understand what tissues go through when packing cord. The other day this 14 year old kid came in for a cleaning. I was on my way out the door when Alisha one of the assistants in my office came up to me and said "Could you get some of this stuff off--I know I won't be able to get it all." She was cleaning aka polishing this kids mouth. Now Alisha is amazing. She knows when there is tarter that needs to be scaled and will get a hygienist or instruments for the Dr to get it. So in my head I am thinking that this kid has a little bit of tarter on the linguals of 23-26. No big deal. So I jump in and start asking the kid how often he brushes his teeth and he told me it was hard to remember to brush. So now I am thinking now wonder he has tarter. I pop my mirror in and see the great wall of china! Holy abundance of calculus! I stop right there and start OHI. Then I moved him to my room I had just shut down and got the ultrasonic out and proceeded to torture this kid. He winned and complained the whole time. I got out the patient mirror and showed him when I had half of the mandable done, he was amazed at the difference. I kept going on about OH and that he needed to see a hygienist from now on. After I cleaned Alisha came in a flossed and polished. When she was describing the tissues on linual of 23-26 she said it was like they had just done a crown prep and the tissues were pulled away from being packed with cord. It was a perfect visialization. I have never packed cord or seen cord packed and always wondered how it was done especially when Heidi Melissa Natalie and Korbin always told me it was their favorite part of being an assistant. I am sure you RDH know the look of the tissues when you removed the great wall of calculus! It was an awesome experience because I think the kid really learned something about brushing and flossing and I learned about cord:)

4 comments:

Em said...

I passed! Woooohoooo. Yakima here I come, at a snails pace but still, here I come.

The Obergs said...

oh the great wall of calculus is my favorite thing to clean, nothing is better! Congrats on the oral hygiene instruction

BreAnna said...

I think it is so great how you always put so much importance on OH, because really... if you teach a man to fish.... your a great hygienist!

Unknown said...

Oh, i miss packing cord!! I love the hygiene world, but sometimes i think it would be nice to put that assistant nametag back on and prep a crown!!

I love those calc walls. Who needs a flap when you pretty much can see a straight shot down the root eh! Sound like you are doing great!! Always knew you would!!