Friday, May 08, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away..

I want to start off this week with a post of the I-5 bridge. This bridge is one bridge that links Portland to Vancouver Washington. I did not use it....I just took a pic of it. I went to Vancouver on Sunday for a little drive. It was a beautiful day. Dan was my navigator and had me take the I-205 bridge but then we wound around to the water front and I had to get out and take a picture of the bridge. There are bridges everywhere in Portland and along I-84 going East and West to Hermiston. The bridges allow us to cross over the Columbia river which is the state line between Oregon and Washington. It is impressive. People are always wind sailing on the water. It is a wake board type board with a para sail on it. It looks hard. No boats are pulling these boarders just the massive wind. There are also windmills everywhere. It is pretty neat.


I have been wanting to share how beautiful Portland is. There are so many flowering trees and flowers. Here are some. I do not know the names.









I know I am not a photographer but hopefully you get the idea.











I love the tulips!







This tree was a beautiful peach color and so I had to get a close up. The color is better in person.













As you can tell this is from the Portland Temple. As well as all of these pictures. I just stood outside Wednesday night and snapped pictures of the wonderful landscape. I guess tons of rain is a good thing. Utah just does not have this natural beauty. The dessert has to work so much harder for the beauty it has.


It has pounded rain for the last 4 days. There was even a bad micro-storm that caused power outages and trees to fall. A tree fell over on the freeway and killed a lady in her car. Talk about being in the wrong place going 55 MPH at the wrong time. What are the chances? Anyway, after 4 days of just constant rain I can almost feel the frustration of the locals. They are so sick of the rain by now and just want some sun. Which when it does shine is so weak. We are to high on the parallels of the Earth to feel the full effects of the sun. Which explains why everyone is on prescription strength vitamin D here. Our bodies cannot make it from the sun-it is too weak at this angle. This weekend should be sunny so everyone will get a break before the rain starts up again next week. I am not tired of it yet but I do sympathize with those who are. I just cannot be mad at rain when it gives us water and so much beauty in the gardens and yards and landscapes.


2 comments:

Maria said...

I totally agree with you on the natural beauty of different cities! Minneapolis is gorgeous; every city has its own unique beauty, but places that get more rain definitely have a certain charm. I love the pictures of the flowers! They are beautiful. I need to get to the temple in St. Paul and check out their grounds.

I love that you are having your own adventure in Portland! It's so much fun to explore a new city. You're so lucky to have a travel guide, though. My friends think I'm weird because I'm so amazed at all the new sights when we drive. They take it for granted but it's new and exciting for me.

Ruth said...

Your pictures are awesome! Drives like that I could get into, when there is something to look at, not just nothing.