Tuesday, September 08, 2009

What a weekend....

I just had the best weekend! Dan and I arranged to have 4 days off work for Labor Day weekend. The original plan was to go to Utah but again that dream was crushed. Instead Friday was completely wonderful. We had a good sleep in and then I ran some errands while I was gone Dan was investigating the prospects of getting orders for active duty. He had some luck and we needed to go to Salem (about an hour south). We were off. Once we made it to the Armory in Salem we found out some more information about jobs for Dan.

While we were in Salem we decided to attend the State Fair. It was delightful. I had so much fun. Dan was the cutest husband ever! We toured the carnival area, the artist area, the vendor area (where we found great sky chairs-I want one), the car area, the tractor area, the horse area, the cow, goat, sheep, etc area. We watched calf roping. I loved it. It was a wonderful eclectic collection of Oregoneons. There was the hippie group, the farmer group, the old timer group, and all in between. I forget that most of Oregon is 'conservative' while Portland is very 'liberal'. It is wonderful to see other 'real' Americans. I loved the fair. The exhibits were wonderful. Dan was completely charming and wonderful.

Saturday and Sunday gave us record amounts of rain...record for Portland..amazing. Needless to say that we were soggy. We had Anna. She did not want to come until Sat afternoon because she was hanging with her cousins. Dan was a little sad. He wanted to spend the whole 4 day weekend with her. It is kind of heartbreaking to watch. We played inside due to the buckets of rain. Sunday afternoon Anna asked to go home now instead of Monday. Dan allowed it. I think he was a little sad when he dropped her off. It was hard.

Monday Dan and I went to the beach. It was wonderful. It was a chilly 63 degrees but that did not stop me from wading in the tide. Dan and I went on a very long walk along the beach. It was completely romantic and wonderful. Dan makes me so happy. We have had some seriously hard times but these past weeks have been like a dream. He is wonderful. I have been wonderful. I am totally in love with my husband. It has been a wonderful weekend!
On our walk we saw this old sea lion. He had gray hairs. He did not look so good. We told the policeman who was patroling the area and so I am not sure the fate of this little guy but I am sure the circle of life occured....

7 comments:

vicki said...

That picture of the sea lion is making me so sad. Poor thing. I would have loved to have waded in that chilly water. It is terribly hot and humid here. So glad you had a nice weekend!

Lori England said...

It is so great that you two can remember why you got maried!

cheeks said...

i'm glad you had a great weekend! i love the fair....mmmm, how i would love a huge deepfried corndog right now! ha ha!

i'm so jealous of your romantic walk on the beach with your love! i'm glad things are lookin up!

Ruth said...

Sounds like a good weekend! I am jealous of the beach. I hope you are well!

Lizi said...

What a fun weekend!! We went to the fair in Parowan this weekend...fun, but ya know, not like the Oregon State Fair I'm sure! The pic of the sea lion...so sad. He looks rough. I'm glad you're getting sand between your toes, it's good for the soul!

Melissa Rees said...

Sounds like you had fun! The sea lion on the other hand...You better let me know when you do come to Utah!

Maria said...

I'm glad everything is going so well! How fun to be able to walk on a real beach (Minnesotans call the sand by their lakes 'beaches'. Whatever.)