Friday, August 28, 2009

Columbia River sites...just a few


Last weekend was a great weekend; which is saying something because I had a flare up and was in pain Thurs night to Sun. Dan and I had Anna for the weekend. We were planning on going camping at the beach but Friday I pooped out and they decided to stay with me and go do 'local' stuff Saturday.


This pic is of Anna and I at the Vista House. It is an old elegant place overlooking the Columbia River. It is pretty cool.






Dan and Anna at the Vista House.







We traveled down the Historic Highway which was totally lovely! It was just so full of waterfalls, trees, flowers and all sorts of woodland wonderness.


Our next stop was at Stonhenge. I have posted about this before...it is a replica of the one in England. Can you see the cool bridge in the background to the left of the pic. I love driving over this thing. It is so fun to me to be suspended over water....

Next came the Maryhill Museum. It is an old mansion build by Sam Hill. He wanted to start a settlement on the Washington side of the Columbia River. He made this mansion and turned it into an art museum. It had some really cool stuff in there. The third floor was all for Ansel Adams. I really like his stuff. I kind of think Sam Hill was a bit of a perv. He was dear friends with 3 powerful women (queen of Romania, sugar heiress of CA, and famous stage actress) during 1920. They donated a lot of stuff for the museum. That is my speculation and no fact involved.







Sunday Anna and I made ginger peach pies. They were yummy. Since we had the marshmallows out for camping we decided to try roasting them in the oven. It does not work very well. It takes patience and then the taste is just not the same. oh well. I had a wonderful weekend despite the discomfort and plan changes.







6 comments:

Lori England said...

Wow you mentioned his name. And pictures. Is he ok with that? You all look like you had fun. So how often do you spent time with Anna? Is she almost as tall as Dan? Or is it just the pictures?

Maria said...

I'm sorry you were in pain! That's no fun. I love your Oregon adventures. Looks like you had a good weekend.

P.S. Please send me a ginger peach pie! My mouth is watering...

Melissa Rees said...

Totally need the recipe for ginger peach pies!! Looks like you had fun. Utah can be so very boring...

vicki said...

What gorgeous scenery! And you look so cute. I totally miss you!

Lizi said...

The Portland area looks beautiful! I'm so glad you're getting out an enjoying it!! And yea that ginger peach pie...I want one!!

Em said...

Isn't it pretty. You've got to take Dan or your step daughter to Leavenworth, it's soooo pretty.