Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yeah for Sisters



Yesterday I received a package in the mail....Yeah mail...It was from my sister Jo Ann. She sent me this book among other things including rocket balloons!


I have been reading a lot of books about marriage. I recognize that I need help. I am not who I want to be. I have read good books and some I only make it part way through because the author's opinion is not the same as mine. I live in Portland. It is a VERY liberal city and thus the books are very liberal. They teach that living together before marriage is good and that what I consider evils are ok and allowable in marriages. I have never wanted a Deseret Book store so bad as I do now.


I had my friend Sara looking at books for me in Utah. She gave a some great titles to order. In the mean time I found a book I loved from the library and ended up buying it. It had many 'truths' but I still wanted an LDS perspective. Lucky for me I have Jo. She mailed this book to me. It is wonderful. The title is a little scary but that is just the authors personality. She is a fun person and tries not to take life too seriously. I am only on page 39 and I have learned so much about myself and how to become a better wife. This book focuses on using the Holy Ghost and Heavenly Father and your own brain to become a better wife, to be the wife your husband married. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Jo for finding this random book and sending it to me this week--I needed it right now!!!


Another thing this book talked about is that we as women do not talk about our marriages. We bash our husbands but we dont talk about our marriages. It is just too private. While the author agrees that we need to keep our intimate lives with our husbands to ourselves but that we need to realize that everyone is struggling too. And maybe we can help each other. I am excited to finish this book. I have been looking and praying for guidance on how to improve me, on how to make me be the woman I want to be. I am the luckiest woman alive to have friends and family who look after me and help me! Thank you Sara!!!Thank you Jo Ann!!! Thank you Ruth!! and thank you blog members for allowing me to vent in this venue I appreciate all your love and words of wisdom!!! I love you all....

8 comments:

Lori England said...

Just make sure that you are still Mair and not just He who should not be named wife. Thanks for the comment on my blog

Mary Ann said...

Lori Lori Lori I will always be Mair....I promise. I am me just a stronger new me who is married. And we both know that marriage changes a person. I am changing for the better!!!

cheeks said...

what a sweet sister! the book sounds great....if i were a big reader i'd pick it up today! i don't know if you've read "The Proper Care and FEeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura Shless---whatever her last name is. I know, dr.laura, right?!?! i listened to it on cd to and from work and i really liked it. it made me think a lot differently. good luck! i'm glad i'm back on your blog too :)

vicki said...

Being married is sometimes tough the first year or so. I had a really hard time and I also had a baby 10 months into the marriage. I was a very independent 30 year old when I got married and it took me a while to learn to "live" with my husband. I also felt like I had lost myself. You will find your way. You are keeping your values and principles in line and it WILL come together. I have been married almost 10 years (can you believe???) and it is STILL hard at times. If it weren't challenging we wouldn't be able to grow.

Maria said...

Mair, I agree with Lori. Don't change anything about yourself! You are perfect just the way you are and any husband of your's needs to apppreciate who you are and let you be yourself.

Melissa Rees said...

How nice of her to do that! sounds like you needed it. yes, we all have bumps in the road of marriage. Hope you are able to overcome yours! So jealous of those pies...

Ruth said...

Sounds like a book I may need to read. As this time in our marriage is very trying. I hope you have a good rest of the week! What are rocket balloons?

The Obergs said...

oh yeah, I think I need this book! Some days.... Oh Mary Ann don't feel alone. I think every single marriage has its own set of issues. Sometimes I start feeling like I'm the only person without a perfect life when I read people's blogs... but then I realize that people only let you see what they want you to see. Good luck with the reading, let me know if it's good.