Monday, August 10, 2009

Hermiston Watermelon


I finally was able to see a watermelon field. From the second I told Portlanders that my husband was from Hermiston they have told me about the wonderful watermelons. I have never seen a whole field of watermelon and wanted to very badly. Yesterday I went in search of one. I drove around until I found one...a whole 1/2 mile from the house ha ha ha.
He Who Must Not Be Named and I went to Hermiston for the weekend. He Who Must Not Be Named owns a house there. He rents out 2 rooms to his nephew and his friend. Now I was hesitant to rent to mid-twenty year old men but I am so glad we did. These men are wonderful. They are the usual men, they have guns, duck decoys, camo, beer, etc. But these men are the cleanest men I have ever seen! The house has been painted by them, cleaned by them and maintained by them.

I am so appreciative of them and their hard work.
He Who Must Not Be Named and I had the chance to go to Pendleton nearby and tour the underground tunnels. It was great fun. I loved the history of it. The tunnels were made over 100 years ago by Chinese workers. We saw a wall made by white men and it had been repaired and redone etc and it was made less than 100 years ago. Crazy Chinese men and their mad skills in arcitecture! These tunnels and rooms were used for several things. The Chinese had to live there and were required by law to be underground by sundown. We toured a Speak-Easy, an opium den, a bar, a pool house-and bowling alley, ice cream parlor, meat company, laundry room and living quarters of the Chinese. I truly enjoyed it.

There was this watermelon that was marked with an X. Not sure why. Maybe the workers were checking to see the melons were ready. Not sure why they left it like that. Seem like a waste. At least it was good for a picture...nice fly too huh?

5 comments:

vicki said...

I LOVE watermelon! Can't get enough!

Aimee said...

Thanks Mair! I honestly LOVE reading your blog. I check it every week! You always have exciting adventures to talk about! :)

Maria said...

Yummy watermelons! Didn't know they grew those in Portland. And a Speak-easy to boot!

Em said...

You should try growing a couple square watermelons. You just make a box and when they start to grow you put them in the box. It's really neat.

cheeks said...

ah....i would love to be there! i have been obsessed with watermelons this summer...we go through like 2/week! hopefully too much watermelon doesn't have some crazy side effect on us! So, are they super cheap too?? yummy!