Monday, October 26, 2009

The Move

As you know Dan has a 12 year old daughter. She spends every other weekend at our house. Due to that fact we needed to get a place with 2 bedrooms. I found a place near the max (public transportation that I take to work into downtown Portland) near Dan's work, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and cheaper price and less utilities. It's drawback is that it is an apartment. A third floor apartment. But there is a fully functioning work out room and indoor pool so I am not too upset. There is no garage for Dan to tinker in. I am sad about it. But he works as a mechanic and can do tinkering there if needed. He sacrificed the garage to get a bigger and cheaper place for his daughter. What a good dad.
After the final cleaning of that little house I was locking up and I started to cry...how ridiculous! But it was the place I spent the first hard year of my marriage. I am glad the first year is over but I am sad to leave it behind. I hope the little house treats someone else good.
As for packing my stuff. Well Dan and I have opposite schedules right now. So I packed my stuff and moved it by myself and he packed his stuff and got a friend and moved his stuff and some of the heavy stuff. Even though I did my share of the heavy stuff :) I put away my stuff and Dan took care of his. Our marriage is still very segregated. I am sure it is because of me.

9 comments:

cheeks said...

ok! i feel better now :) "THEY" do say that the first year of marriage is the hardest....i think there's just so much change and getting used to eachother and a new lifestyle. Maybe a new place will be good for you guys....a fresh start. time to leave the hard year behind! I'm glad you will have a little more space! isn't your anniversary coming up?

Ruth said...

Oddly, as I have said before, I have been married 12 yrs and a lot of what we do is segregated. However since my husband lost his job, it has shifted slightly. Things will get better my friend!

The Obergs said...

you moved! I always hate moving, but in a way kind of love it. It forces me (Taylor) to throw stuff away and organize better. I totally empathize with you about boxes everywhere. I swear it takes at least a month to find a place for all your stuff and get all of your pictures hung up.

When's the anni?

vicki said...

I hope you get "settled" soon. I HATE moving. I don't know why I hate it because all I do is drive from the old house to the new one with the kids. Duane packs, loads, and moves it all. I think I hate it because for a short time everything is not in it's place and that disturbs me. Hopefully you were able to weed out things that you don't need anymore. That always feels good!

Maria said...

Moving is hard! Please don't take all the blame for any problems you're having; you're way too hard on yourself. You're way too awesome to carry that heavy load all by yourself.

That pumpkin cake looks delish! I love pumpkin everything and need to start baking more.

Em said...

I made pumpkin pie (just the filling) and ate the whole thing. It was the best. I love the fall. I love pumpkin pie filling, colors, cold, blankets...but I am sad...my fruit stand is closing for the season. No fruit stand guy. Bright side, they do open for Christmas trees. I'll get one day in Dec. Something to look forward too.

Lori England said...

You forget that marige is two people living together in the same house. Some times you are two seprate people, but just some times come together. Me and matt are going through a very bad moment of two people living in the same house leading two different lifes. So do not feel like you are ever alone! even if people seem happy they never ever are there are always issues. Now I am going to go to bed by myself and cry myself to sleep. :(

Melissa Rees said...

Hooray for a bigger place!! Can you post the recipe for that pumpkin cake? I'm loving everything pumpkin right now.

Angie said...

You are completely justified in crying when you move away from a home. A home is a special place, whether the things that happen there are good or bad, and to move on (even to a bigger, cheaper place) is a difficult change.

Also, I am sure it is NOT because of you that things are segregated. I lived with you for YEARS and have ZERO complaints about ANY of it! You are fabulous, and I would be honored to be roomies again any day of the week! :-)