Monday, April 12, 2010

Help Hygienists

Oregon Dental Conference was this past weekend. Thursday, Friday and Saturday full of great speakers and hundreds of vendors. The classes were amazing. They were exactly what I wanted to learn about....that is what happens when you fill out the course evaluations ha ha ha. Well my classes brought to mind several questions. I would like some help with them.

1. What is the difference between periodontitis and periodontal disease?
I have a very strong memory of Jeff in the pod next to me explaining that the patient did not have periodontal disease but had periodontitis. It has scarred me and I have had a hard time letting myself use that word. I know it is silly but he just rubbed me the wrong way. Now I am over my pettiness and would like to know the difference.

2. Is it better to so OCD on a tooth and remove tooth structure and create this hourglass root surface or leave the roughness (which might be root surface) or refer it to get a flap laid etc.?
I just dont know. I hate reshaping the roots. I hate leaving roughness. What do I do?

3. Leukoplakic lesions. . . watch or refer?
The speakers said you cannot diagnose white patches without a biopsy. But biopsy-ing every lesion is a little redundant but then I am worried about missing cancer. I guess I need more practice identifying those lesions.

4. Lasers??? How do I get training. My current DDS does not believe in them. I am afraid I am going to be left behind if I do not get some training to stay current. Some of the offices here have been using lasers for 15+ years. I am so behind.

I guess that is about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Chelseys Blog said...

sorry. I have no clue or advice here!

Maria said...

I want to get laser certified too! I feel really inadequate without it. The peridontitis/periodontal disease question? I will be honest: I did not know there was a difference, so I guess I need to do some research.

cheeks said...

hmmmm, so what do you call periodontal disease if it isn't periodontitis??

maybe jeff knew a lot more as a student than we do as seasoned (almost 4 yrs) hygienists?! i'm confused too now i guess!

The Obergs said...

hahahha, love it! I'm pretty sure there is NOT a difference between Perio disease and Periodontitis. Jeff is such a fool... always has been. (however, if there really IS a difference then I guess I'm the fool).

I too, would LOVE to get some education on the laser. However, since I'm not working at all right now, I guess I will have to wait. Let me know all about it. Hope all is well with you!