Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I Cut Scott's Junior Off

Scott had a fibroma on his cheek. It started off small and a place he bit his cheek. Well through the years he was stressed and bit the same place on his cheek over and over and over creating a large fibroma. Scott lovingly named him Junior. Well Junior was large enough to be into Scott's occlusion. It needed to be removed. 

I had the honor of cutting it off  last week. I got him numb and took a blade and started cutting it. I was so scared. I started cutting and it was tough and I needed to 'saw' it. I realized I should not have to and went deeper into the cheek where the blade slid right through the tissues. It was wonderful. Scott was holding a surgical suction tip so it would not go down his throat. I did not have an assistant available because I was doing this surgery after hours in the office. I am pretty sure I am not licensed to do this. 

Scott wanted to cut it open to see what was inside-cartilage or fibrous tissue. I was amazed it did not bleed that much.

Junior was a surprising 1 inch big. I am really disappointed that I did not get a 'before' picture. sigh.
It will likely be the largest fibroma I will ever see. 
Scott has healed completely.  In 24 hours the wound in his cheek had shrunk to a sewing pin-head size. I am amazed at the healing abilities of the human mouth. I am even more impressed with my surgical skills! Scott hardly has a bump where I cut Junior off.
I was scared to cut into Scott-now that it is over I feel awesome! What a high! 

2 comments:

Lori England said...

Nasty!

The Obergs said...

holy cow Mary Ann!!!! You are amazing. I wouldn't even know where to begin, let alone realizing that I should be cutting deeper. You really are a ninja hygienist. This is awesome and freaky and so crazy. Way to go!