Monday, October 24, 2011

The Fruit Loop

I have lived in Portland for three years now. I have wanted to do The Fruit Loop for a couple of years now. I first learned about it from a patient of mine. It is a loop starting at Hood River and going up toward Mt Hood and looping back. Hood River is about 40 minutes outside of Portland. 
My friend Janice and I went this year. Our original goal was to stop at 2 of the 33 stops. We did not want to be all day. Well Janice stopped at a few extra places. The first stop was Rasmussen's Fruit and Flower Farm. 
The field of U-Cut Flowers with some colorful leaves in the background. We stopped at a glass blowers studio and watched pro and amateur blow vases, glasses, bowls. I have seen glass blowing before and still amazed at such a skill.
We wanted to stop at Daisy Girls Fruit Stand because they were advertising Hot Apple Cider and Donuts. We arrived and were disappointed that hot apple cider was in a thermos and the donuts looked like yesterdays old donuts. My hope was still alive because they also advertised flavored ciders-apple and pear cider, cherry and apple cider, etc. But alas they only had apple cider when I was there. Disappointed we headed to the next stop. 
Mt View Orchards Inc & Fruit Stands was celebrating Swiss German "Edelweiss Days".

Of course at every stop were several varieties of apples and pears and squash and gords. I saw a bin of Eves Delight apples. They were larger than my hand. I wear a medium latex glove. I could also wear a large if needed. So I have big hands. This apple was so large I could not get my fingers around it.

Eves Delight is the largest apple I have ever seen. It is a tart, crisp apple that would be perfect for baking-well that is my opinion after tasting a slice.

As part of the Edelweiss Days they were having German sausage, potatoes, applesauce, kraut, and struesel. It was pretty good. I admit I ate all the potatoes. The dish was made with apples, potatoes and bacon-no onion and I loved it! Maybe all these years it is the onion I have hated in potato dishes and I really actually do like potatoes. Hmmmm

Our next stop took us to Apple Valley Country Store and Bakery. 
You know you are in the country when you park in the pasture and white lines have been pained on the ground-ha ha ha
I loved this stop. It was one of the last and I think I will do the loop backwards next time I do it. This place rocked. They were cooking apple butter out front and selling fry bread and apple butter. They dough was fried right there while you waited and the apple butter was warm from the 9 hours of reduction cooking.


It was so delicious! 
Inside the bakery were every kind of wonderful fruit pie. The assortment of preserves, syrups, mustards, butters (like apple butter and pumpkin butter), pie filling, bottled fruit, and general yumminess.
I purchased a bottle of apple cider syrup. It was absolutely delicious on my German pancake yesterday! 
I had a wonderful day full of apples, pears, colored leaves, beautiful fields and country air. It was a wonderful day!


6 comments:

Ruth said...

Yummy food! When I make potatoes, I always leave the onion out. But that is in hopes that my kids will one day my kids will eat them. Still yummy though! I love fry bread.

Lori England said...

Oh I love hot fried bread stuff! How fun! I love the apple that is bigger then life! I also love the field of flowers.

The Obergs said...

oh geez, my mouth is watering. I swear, every time I read your blog I always go scrounging around my kitchen afterwards. Your dining experiences all sound so delicious.

cheeks said...

what a fun day! the food all looks amazing! did they have "honeycrisp" apples? those are my faves!!! i love fall and the season change, although the cold weather coming isn't really my thing :) i love and NEEDED this: "I cannot stop the change so I might as well enjoy the experience." seriously. thank you....i appreciate you sharing your experiences.
...and, as hard as it was to accept the laptop from dan, i'm glad you did! i can't imagine that the mini was good for your eyes, lol :)

Melissa Rees said...

Good logic on the laptop. I totally agree! So glad you don't have any feelings for Dan anymore! Your life is good now!

Kim said...

That sounds amazing! I want to go to there! ;)