Monday, January 23, 2012

Oh bless that cacao tree!

It was ChocolateFest once again. I am truly honestly loving this annual tradition of mine. 
This year I was excited to attend the fundraiser. I am counting down the days I have left in Portland. I want to soak in the local flavor as much as I can before I drive away. 
I invited Natalie Carrigan who sadly could not come due to her father being in town from Utah. He came to help Natalie and Ross paint Ross's recently purchased house. They have been dating a year and I am hoping things progress for them. They are good for each other. 
I invited the girls from my office, the office upstairs, the office downstairs, and 2 more friends. 
The day of the event arrived. I have been cramming dinners and lunches with everyone. Friday was no exception. I had lunch with a friend and had to cut it short so I could get to ChocolateFest.
I get a text-one friend cancelled. 
Another text-another friend cancelled.
I get to restaurant where we planned to meet and have happy hour appetizers preparing for the sugar overload.
No one is at the restaurant.
I wait 35 minutes and still no one. My feelings are really hurt now. I text the 2 girls from work. One texts back saying she would meet me at the event and not the dinner. She also said that the other girl was going to be 45 more minutes. 
I understand everyone is busy. I also thought I was important enough to get a text saying they were going to be over an hour late (35+45) . My feelings were really truly hurt. I ended plans early just to get stood up.  This kind of thing happens to me quite often. I hate relying on people. Most let me down. 
I decided to go home. I texted the girls and said I was upset they were late and I was going home. 
As I texted Scott on the train ride home a few tears slid down my cheek. I was embarrassed as a couple men saw and looked away. 
Lets just say that the remnants of the bag of chips I had quickly disappeared.
Fast forward to Saturday.
I decided to go to the ChocolateFest alone. I am so thrilled that I did. It was wonderful! This is the third year I have attended this fun event. The good thing was since it was not opening night it was only $10 entrance fee (vs $20). The bad thing was no bands, and it was not 21 and older crowd. The alcohol was still flowing-chocolate wine, chocolate martinis, beer etc. but add hyper kids and strollers. I see the good and bad of both crowds. 
I was so happy to taste the good chocolate. I enjoy good dark chocolate. Crappy dark chocolate is not acceptable. 
My favorite this year was Exotic Chocolates  Their chocolate was dark and high quality. I loved the flavors they had and the men working the booth were very endearing! I bought a tube of their assorted chocolate. The flavors I liked best were coconut, and mint habanero. I am excited to try the lime and the banana.
I got a couple packages of the sipping chocolate. It is way better than hot chocolate-thicker and richer. I am excited to share this with Scott. 
One of my favorites stands is the Seely Peppermint Farm. I love their soap and got a bar this year as well as some peppermint oil. I am excited to make my own peppermint patties. 
There were so many flavors of chocolate I tried. 
Mint
Thai peanut and curry
vanilla caramel
coconut
ginger
almond
vanilla mouse
cardamon mouse
Some were delicious and some were grainy. I enjoyed the smooth chocolate and that is why I loved Exotic Chocolates. 
I am so happy I went. It was the best time.
I plan on attending next year. Scott will accompany me to Portland for the weekend and let me get my dose of chocolate and local Portland fun. 

3 comments:

Ruth said...

My goal is to never let you down. I hope that one day soon I can see your smiling face. That is my other goal.

Chelseys Blog said...

So glad you got to go the chocolate fest. Sorry if I ever let you down. I do love you dearly as a forever friend. When are you moving officially? Do you have a ring? When are you getting married? I am so excited for you Mair.

The Obergs said...

If I were there I wouldn't have stood you up. I totally know that feeling and it is the worst. I'm sorry it happened to you, but I'm also so glad that you didn't let it stop you from going. It sounded magical (even with screaming kids)