Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Next 7 Days

Just before Scott left Utah to come help me pack and move his mom suggested and my father strongly suggested we just elope. Our wedding plans were becoming difficult and I was getting sick of it. I did not want a big wedding or a reception. I didnt want dinner, a cake, or flowers. It was becoming very irritating to me. So when Scott asked if I would be ok if we drove through Nevada and got married in some chapel of love I was ok with it. But then Scott was not ok with it. He was worried about honeymoon situation and location. He had one planned for later. We discussed and each of us took a couple days to think about it and we decided to get married in Utah. The office where you get your marriage license charged $30 for in office marriages. I was thrilled! Ubber inexpensive and perfect. 

What happened was that the U-Haul rental was $200+ cheaper to have it returned to Salt Lake City. We arranged to return it to SLC knowing Scott's car was waiting for him in a parking lot near the airport. We got to Vernal on Tuesday Feb 7 at about 6 am. We slept for about 2 hours and then I got up to find Scott had already been up for about 30 min and half unloaded the U-Haul by himself. I jumped in to help him. He was going to let Jo Ann and I sleep while he did it! 
Jo woke about 5 minutes later. The 3 of us unloaded the truck. We were still tired and I was grumpy. After it was unloaded we took showers and ate breakfast and got back into the truck. Ugh the pain of getting back into that blasted U-Haul truck for 3 more hours. 
Finally we made it to SLC and got the car from the airport shuttle parking lot. We dropped off the U-Haul. We were very blessed with dropping it off because we were over on miles (about 50 miles) and we were prepared to pay the $0.40/mile fee but the girl said nope that we were good and let us go. 
This is when my snippiness was at its worst. I was nervous. My stomach was going crazy. We had eaten out for days and days and the resulting nervousness was making me miserable and I took it out on Scott and Jo Ann. We made it to the courthouse/government building. Scott and I changed our clothes and I left my shoes in the car. Jo Ann had some that would work and she traded me. That helped because the shoes were borrowed and old ha ha ha. I had a bag of clothes and I made Jo Ann hold it. Scott thought I was being rude and i was. I am so used to bossing my little sister around. I was tired, exhausted, and emotional. It was a little difficult to be happy and nice. 
Scott took the time to calm me down and make me feel better. My fuse was very short and I was irritated at the littlest thing. After Scott talked to me I felt so much better and calm and excited to get married to him. He offered to do this another day. He was very worried I was regretting my decision. I wasnt. I was honestly very tired with normal nerves. I am thankful to Scott for helping me relax and enjoy this great experience. We filled out the license and my brother showed up. Jo Ann and Daniel were our witnesses. 
Our judge was perfect. She preformed a simple ceremony. It was tender and touching to Scott and me.
After the legalities were finished we parted ways with my siblings. Scott had reservations for dinner at Melting Pot. I did not think my stomach could handle the richness and grease. Scott kindly cancelled the reservations and started driving me toward home. I was so excited to get home and make a salad. 
Scott had other plans. 

Scott had made reservations at a cabin at Daniel's Summit Lodge. I loved this place instantly due to the bears on top of the sign! It was a wonderful cabin. Wonderful fireplace, horrible toilet paper, great view, superb food, cute general store, and quiet!!!! There was a large group staying in the lodge and while they were loud at dinner they were out riding snow mobiles and we didnt see them much. Scott wanted to go for a ride but I didnt bring a coat. I had a jacket and one pair of jeans. I didnt know I needed to pack clothes for overnight. It was a total surprise. Luckily we had plenty to do!

I saw these bears in the country store and had to have them! Scott didnt even blink and instantly purchased them for me. He spoils me completely! 

Now it has been 1 week-7 days-of marital bliss. I am still unpacking boxes. Luckily my husband purchased and assembled 2 dressers from Ikea preparing for me arriving. Between the 2 of us we did not have one set of drawers! I love having bedroom furniture!

I woke yesterday (Valentine's day) and whipped up a blueberry breakfast cake, some eggs, bacon, and chocolate milk. I served Scott in bed. We ate together and enjoyed the slow morning. 
We had a lot to do, taking advantage of Scott's day off work. We had to get names put on bank accounts, look at home remodeling supplies, get me added to health insurance etc. It was a busy day. 
I had organized 7 gifts for Scott. He was pretty spoiled! It was very fun.

I knew Scott would spoil me! Here I am eating chocolate covered strawberries! They were so wonderfully sweet!


And here are my roses! Note the hot chocolate cups on the table (and moving boxes I am still working on).
To remind you, Vernal has a wonderful coffee stand with wonderful hot chocolate. Scott stopped and got me one! It was a great day! We spent our afternoon relaxing on the couch looking at stuff online and watching tv. It was a perfect valentines/week anniversary day! 
I am so happy to be married to this great man. I have my demons, he has his. Together we try to be better people. 

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh how I wish I was married to someone who thought of me before themselves. One of those "things" I am struggling with. I am grateful you have found Scott and he has found you! :)

cheeks said...

can i just say how great it was to see you this week?! i'm so glad you and scott found eachother....he seems to make you so happy! you totally deserve that! good luck with the home projects, take before/after pics of your projects! i'll live vicariously through you as you are having fun painting!

Melissa Rees said...

So glad you are happy! Scott sounds wonderful :) So glad we could see each other in person!

Lizi Bates said...

Wowza that is quite the story!!! Congratulations Mair, I'm so happy for you! I really like the sounds of Scott :) You deserve the best, you are wonderful! I love the pic of you two at the courthouse. It's fun to think you are back in Utah. I hope we get to see you sometime soon. Until then, enjoy each other and getting settled in to your new life, wooHOO!

Chelseys Blog said...

So very happy for you Mair. Sounds like you have a keeper and you are happy. I love the ending quote of your blog....isnt that the truth with all marriages? Love you and CONGRATULATIONS!!!