Thursday, April 14, 2005

Ready or Not Here I Come!

Well world, here I am...the new SADHA president! I am a little surprised, my opposing candidate was a worthy opponent! Good luck to here and everything she does this summer!!! I am really excited to work so closely with SADHA! I am looking forward to the national convention in Las Vegas this summer! ADHA is a great professional organizations, and I am so happy to have the opportunity to learn more about it. I hope all future RDH's seriously consider their own personal membership in this great organization!!

Now on a lighter side, I was watching an episode of The Simpsons the other night. Homer was a door greeter at a store called 'Sprawl-mart'. Needless to say I was very amused with the episodes take on the great shopping center if the Simpson's universe! (Remember: I am a true blue Walmart hater) Ogden has been fighting pretty hard to prevent Walmart from coming into the city. My friends in Cedar City saw a news report about the protestors and they thought for sure I was going to be on TV! I thought that was pretty funny! My point is...I have to give kudos to the writers of The Simpsons for their daring to poke fun at one of the top 5 richest people in the WORLD (The Walton siblings)!

I hope each of you find humor in your little bubbles and may finals be one of them!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Congratulations Prez! You will do an awesome job with SADHA. Politics are scary and I applaud you for venturing into that arena. You guys will be big bad second years soon, can you believe it? You've all done so well and now you'll be running the show. Best of luck to you and your reign as Queen of SADHA.

Isaac Carmichael said...

I join you in your hatred for Walmart. I love the Simpsons, but I think South Park did perhaps a slightly better parody of the giant retailer/spreading virus.
I moved away from the city out to the country to get away from the scores and scores of chain stores and strip malls that cause such awful traffic and substantial loss of trees and other environs due to overdevelopment and sprawl. Unfortunately, many suburbanites have decended upon my sleepy town (obstensibly to "get away from it all") only to decide that it's too much trouble to stop at the Walmart on their way home from work, so now they want to build one here. It's disgusting. If they wanted to "get away from it all", why are they insisting on dragging it all with them? It's parasitic. They latch on to a small town, drain it of it's resources, then leave it's hollowed out shell in search of their next host...sick and wrong!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!! You will do a great job. Hey I wanted to talk with you about the diabetes expo. I think you expressed some interest a long time ago. We weren't able to do it this year because of timing issues and I already completed my hours for my BS degree. But I have all of the contact info that you could use to arrange it next year. I know I'll be WSU history but I would love to help out. It would be great for BS volunteer hours. I went again this year and realized (again) that there is a HUGE need for education in that part of the community. I'm finishing up my thesis on the subject of perio awareness in diabetic and so I feel like it is my life right now. Just let me know if your still interested.

Maria said...

Mary Ann, I had so much fun seeing "Dear Frankie" with you! That is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I'm still thinking about it and Gerard (yum!). I read in on a message board online that it is coming to DVD on July 5. That is soon and I'm glad because I want to see it again. Let me know if you're ever bored and we'll go see it.

Mary Ann said...

Sidedhow bob, I feel your pain. I hate to even tell people about the great small towns in So. Utah, because I am afraid that they will come and invade the peace! They want to get away from it all and they end up bringing it with them! It is very hard to find a place that the majority does NOT pay homage to good old Walmart.