Friday, August 04, 2006

The essence of pulchritude...

One of my favorite patients told me that I was the essence of pulchritude and since I am not Kami Hanson I did not know what it meant. He would not tell me what it meant and so I looked it up. I was very flattered that he would say such a nice thing about me. It really made my day to be sweet talked like that.

Well yesterday I had a patient who had some leukoplakic patches on his buccal mucosa (I haven't used those big words for so long I just had to ha ha). i tried to wipe them off and they would not. I showed the spots to the patient and asked how long they had been there. He had no idea he had white spots on his cheeks. He instantly freaked out on me. He was all sorts of afraid he had cancer. I could not calm him down. I told him it was most likely a fungal infection but he would not listen to me. I felt so bad that he freaked out like that. The dr reassured him that it was a fungal infection and to keep a watch on it to see if it got worse. Man....

One of my other patients had malignant hypothermia. It was great to talk to him. He was 28 years old and he really needed his wisdom teeth taken out. He said that he was going to go to an oral surgeon to get them out. I did not blame the dentist for sending him there. I was a little freaked out cleaning his teeth. He was so nice. He said his whole family-on his fathers side-has it. He said his little bro almost died from it. It was great to meet and treat someone with a condition I had learned so much about but thought I would not meet anyone who had it.

Cedar Mountain has had quite a bit of rain that last few days. I drove up to Cedar Breaks yesterday and UDOT was cleaning the roads from yet another mud slide. I love the mountain! It is so beautiful. It is breaking my heart to see the dead tree areas getting larger each year-dang bark beetle. One day lightening is going to strike and the whole mountain is going to explode in a puff of flames! That is all that is new in my life...kinda boring huh? Oh well, I am just so content that I do not know what to do:-)

5 comments:

Em said...

About time my friend. You sound like you are doing so well. I've been working with Proff Hanson at the VA and I love it. Now I'm off to look up hypothermia, I can't remember?

Em said...

VA was kinda offered as an upper division credit, and you know me I jumped all over it.

Aimee said...

What?? Did we ever learn about malignant hypothermia? I don't remember that at all. Of course, Emily's been studying for boards all summer, so she'll know exactly where to go look!

Mary Ann said...

Ok so it is malignant hyperthermia and I learned it in Dental Meds 2--during local anesthesia. You guys are so cute to go look it up...ha ha ha;) I am so glad that I have graduated! Life is great!

BreAnna said...

I need to stop by here more often, what a great refresher, it is so nice to be out of school isnt it, it makes all that hard work worth it. It totally helps when you have great patients!