Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What will I see next?

Well it is Tuesday and already I have had a very eventful week at the dental office. First off I saw a 19 year old female of the polygamist religion. She pops into my chair like a typical teenager. I start to take xrays and as I ask her to open up to place the first film I am hit with a stench of Yak. Dang! I really think a yak climbed into her mouth and died 2 weeks ago. I hurry and take the xrays. I then lay the chair back and get started---after putting on a very thick mask! I had already noticed that she had some plaque accumulation but I was not prepared for what I saw. I just looked her in the eye and asked if she had ever brushed her teeth. I was dead serious! She looked at me and said she used to but had not for a long time because she is allergic to a lot of stuff and brushing her teeth makes little sores breakout around the outside of her mouth. I told her she could brush with water and that she did not need to use toothpaste. She just shrugged her shoulders and said whatever. I was pissed. You know, I do not care if you do not brush your teeth, but DO NOT come to me and have ME clean your teeth! It was one of the grossest mouths I have ever cleaned and I have cleaned some nasty decomposing stuff out of peoples mouths before. I think what bothered me the most was her I don't care attitude! I just cannot imagine having 3 fur coats on my teeth! It was so gross!

Later that day I saw a patient who had chewed tobacco for a while and had a nice pre-cancerous lesion on his cheek. It was just like the textbooks. What makes this unusual was that the patient said he was not a tobacco user on his health history form. So I asked him if he was. He said No. I told him what was in his mouth. He looked at me and said that he did chew but not to tell anyone. Lesson learned....do not lie to your hygienist...ha ha ha!

My next patient was a cute little Mormon lady who was sweet and funny. She had crowns on every single tooth except for 23-27 (lower front ones). Her probe depths were great, her home care was amazing! I could not find any plaque around her crowns. It was amazing. What was gross was the 12 mm leukoplakic patch on her cheek. I asked her how long it had been there and she said for 4 months. She was a little concerned and admitted that was the reason for her visit to our office. My dr gave her an antifungal medication and said if it did not go away then she would need to go get it biopsied. It was really neat to see that lesion.

Well the week is still young who knows what I will see next! I hope y'all are getting your shopping done....I should start one day...soon.....

5 comments:

Aimee said...

I look forward to reading your blog every week!! I'm so glad that you've kept it going. Anyhow...sounds like a pretty nice week for you so far! How did you know she was a polygamist by the way?? Maybe brushing is against their religion!!

Unknown said...

I love that you still have the "weber write in your journal about your patients mode." It makes me laugh- maybe i should start doing that and instead of getting frustrated we can tease eachother about the crazy patients we have!! ha!!!

Did you call and i missed you?? It was hard to hear the message. I swear it said MaryAnn, and if it was you, call me again!! :)

You should have prohy jetted that girl just to teach her a lesson!! Ha!!!

Unknown said...

Hey,
Do i get my name back on the side since i am back in the groove??? :)

Em said...

Like aimee I love to read your blog!!! Have you started shoping yet? Did you put a tree up? Are you comming our way any time soon? Talk later

BreAnna said...

Oh my gosh that is so gross, I love hearing all your stories, I totally agree, if you dont want to brush fine, but dont come to me and expect me to do the demolision of you nasty mouth! Love it!!