Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's Happening

This tree made an appearance on my blog a few months ago when I was so excited that spring was coming.  Now fall is happening. 
Portland had an unusually long spring. June 27 the high was 57. It was a record--the lowest high since 1927. I had many visitors this summer. My sister Jo came early April and it rained every single day. My brother Daniel came late April and it rained most of the time. Then Josh came (ugh) the first of June. It rained a few of the days. All trips to the coast were cold and damp.  My friend Andrea came the first of July. The 2nd of July is that last day we had rain in Portland. That is the true mark of summer--sunshine. I have only seen the sun for 2 months. TWO. Today it is raining. While I do not mind and enjoy the rain it is hard to see because I know winter is coming. So this picture is a touch sad because of the one branch of leaves that are turning color. That means the tree has not been photosynthesizing as much as it used to and is transitioning into a dormant phase. Another sign winter is coming, shorter days.
My favorite time of the year has always been fall. I love the warm days and cool evenings and nights. I love the colors. Maybe it is Portland's mild summer temps or all the goodbyes I have had to make in my personal life this year, whatever the reason I am quite melancholy about saying goodbye to summer.

Boring facts. . ave temp for aug for PDX 79.7. This year 16 days in the 70s 5 days in 80s 7 days in 90s. Still average out to 80 but it has either been cool or hot.

4 comments:

The Obergs said...

booo! I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer either. It took it's sweet time coming to Logan too and now it seems that it's making an early exit... The highs have been in the 60's and 70's this week. I too love fall but I'm just not ready either. Winter was sooooo long last year.

Maria said...

I'm not excited about fall, even though I love it. I love summer even more! I think all that rain would be depressing.

cheeks said...

It's hard for me to welcome fall earlier than it's "due date!" Summer always goes way too fast! I haven't seen any leaves changing *yet* but i know the time will come. BOOOO!

Angie said...

Mostly I love that I no longer have to check the west coast's forecast on weather.com. :-D