Saturday, October 09, 2010

Modesty and Jealousy.

It is a rainy day here in Portland. I decided to take a walk to the movie theater and check out Secretariat. I loved the movie. The theater was packed. The gentleman next to me teared up toward the end of the movie. It was a moving moment. The story was inspiring. The characters were heroic and idiolic. A good story with a good message and heart.

Yet what struck me the most was the fashion. Diane Lane wore the most attractive clothing. It was modest, classy and it impressed me. I recently attended a high school football game here in Beaverton Oregon. The girls were wearing shorts so short and tight that stuff was falling out. Little camel toes everywhere. Their tank top layers were tight and since it was freezing cold their nips were out saying hello with their other parts. I felt so bad for the young men who were supposed to not stare. In 1973 there were many women burning bras and wearing daisy dukes yet the character in the movie choose to wear skirts below the knee and did not show cleavage. She looked so good so classy. I admit I do not dress nice. I wish I had more of a sense of style but I do cover myself up. I feel so old fashioned. But modesty is such a beautiful thing. Women and men who dress nice and appropriate carry themselves with dignity and respect.
I am off my soap box. . . . So Mr Blind Date has not called. I am sure he will not. I am jealous of the front office girl who got $5,200 and a free lap top to go to school this term. All due to her being a single mom. I have been wanting to take some classes to get a masters but the cost is more than I can afford and since my choices have prevented me from having a child I do not get assistance like she does. It makes me so jealous. Not only does she have a little girl but she gets money to go to school. I keep using a hand me down laptop that tests and tries my patience every time I turn it on. Somehow I feel cheated. If modesty is good I guess virtue is also. Although I could have a lot of fun and have a child and money to go to school. As it is I have no car, no boyfriend, no sex, no child, no new laptop, no cable tv and no coach or gucci bags (yes the front office has several of each). Sometimes I feel left out and quite jealous.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I have NONE of the fancy things you listed. I am grateful for what I do have. Even if I were not who I am, I would not trade my self worth for worthy items. I had a friend ask me the other day that if I was not LDS, would I get a tatoo and be a drinker. I told her NO. Neither of those things appeal to me. I have seen how it all ends, when one makes those choices. I say NO THANK YOU! Mr Right is out there waiting for you, of this much I know.

Ruth said...

It is suppose to say worldly items. I apparently need a lesson in typying as well.

Angie said...

Modesty = Good. Camel toes = bad. Jealousy = Human. Mary Ann = Hilarious. :-)

vicki said...

I agree with your observations on modesty and FYI Secretariat was filmed here in Lafayette, Louisiana!

Maria said...

Don't even get me started on public assistance. We were talking about this in my book club. It's ridiculous. People who make good choices and have good morals get nowhere and nothing. It's the losers who make mistakes who get all the handouts. Sigh.

Just know that you can hold your head high because you can take care of yourself!

I've been watching a lot of TCM. I decided that when I get a job I'm going to start buying old-fashioned, classy clothes like what Elizabeth Taylor and Anne Baxter wore. I adore that era and am sad that woman don't appreciate modest clothing that can make you look infinitely more sexy than a pair of short shorts.