Thursday, December 02, 2010

2nd Installment-no pics to break up the monotony

Last Tuesday  received a call from Dr S from Pioneer Pacific College. He offered me a job. I had applied for a teaching position at this crazy school back in March He said he had kept my application in hopes that I would accept a position when there was an opening. I was all sorts of flattered that someone kept my resume for 8 months when I cannot get a single dental office or chain pharmacy to call me for an interview. I do not know why I look so bad on paper that no one will call me.

I was thrilled at the chance to teach pharmacy technician classes at the overpriced college. I am not ashamed to say I would teach at this school. I know they are crazy but I know I would enjoy teaching and would love to get some experience to build my resume. I also would love to have some more income!

I called Dr S back and he said he had a position available for 12 hours a week some night classes and some day. I mentioned I worked during the day. He told me he would call me back the following morning when he got into his office and we could work out a schedule. Well he did not call. He called the following night-I let it go to voicemail. He said he worked all day rearranging the schedule so that I would have only night classes. He asked me to call him anytime Friday. I called him Friday 3 times and left 2 messages. I heard nothing back until Tuesday (two days ago). He urgently expresses how he has to meet me TODAY and that he needs to get me hired so I can be ready for the new term.

By now I am a little irritated with Dr S. How come he was so irritated and urgent with me when I was the one doing everything I could to get this job. I was in Utah. I could not meet him. He was the one who had not called me back. It was frustrating.

In the meantime I left friends and family in Utah. I cried and cried. I was not at all excited to go home to my empty, cold, dark apartment. I walked into the apartment and after turning up the heat I logged onto KSL to look for jobs in Utah. I decided I was moving back. There was a job in Highland Heights. I applied.

Tuesday I told my Dr that I applied for a Utah job and he was torn. He wanted me to be happy and said he would give me a great reference; but he wanted me to stay. He even offered to take my last patient so I could leave and go meet Dr S. My dr hates to do cleanings and so I knew that I was so lucky to have him as a boss. He really wants me to stay.

So Dr S. . . I called him Tues before I left work and he said he would have to call me back. I was frustrated with him. I do not have a car and was going to buy Dan's car-out of desperation- just to get to this job. Dr S finally called me back and said. . . Mary Ann how did you hear about us? I was surprised. . . I said ummm you called me last week. Needless to say the conversation turned to how soon I could meet him. I said not for a few days. I then mentioned that I had plane tickets for Christmas in Utah. He said Oh, I cannot hire you then. I don't have anyone to cover those classes.  There you go. I did not get the job.  I am secretly relieved. Dr S was a scatterbrain. Yet I would love to work 12 hours a week teaching. Longest story ever.

I am conflicted. My lease is up. I am homesick. I am lonely. I am TERRIFIED to make a decision. I obviously cannot be trusted to make good decisions. My last major decision turned out shitty. I am paralyzed with fear of making the wrong choice. What do I do? Do I move back to Utah? Do I date Josh? Do I stay in Portland? Do I buy Dan's car? Do I renew my lease? What do I do? ? ? ?

8 comments:

Alicia said...

Well, I would be happy to be your decision maker--I see all things working out best...for me. =) Mair, You can make decisions and you make GREAT ones. Do not doubt yourself. You're awesome and I would trust you with MY life, so I know yours is in good hands. If you don't feel like you're getting answers, make a choice and see how you feel...YOU CAN DO THIS! =)

Alicia said...

P.S. You would be an amazing teacher...but I'm glad you're not working for Dr. S. He was driving me nuts! =) I do love your dentist, though.

Ruth said...

I agree with Alicia. Beyond that, I have my own conflictedness, so I am NOT good for giving help.

cheeks said...

lots of decisions to make :( why do they all have to come at once?

what the heck is with dr. s? i think he is on drugs! bad drugs! Thank goodness for those plane tix....it would be hard to work for someone that spacey! i will pray everything works out for you...whatever you decide.

your dr. is soooo nice! he really does love you! date josh?? did i miss something? no....he was stupid. dans car?? as long as there's no strings attached. ok, don't listen to me....go w/ your instincts. i'm just an outsider!

The Obergs said...

Mary Ann, there are no "wrong" decisions... you gain a life experience from every decision you make, which in turn make you who you are.

My opinion: I would stay in Portland until/if you get a job in Utah and then I would move down. It's such a scary job market down here (Maria) that I wouldn't take the plunge until I had a definite job lined up and ready to go.

(I'm sure this was your plan all along... hahah, I'm no help)

The Obergs said...

P.S. I'm with Jami... Date Josh??? wasn't he the doofus that got married??

Maria said...

Yes, I agree with Crystal. You need to keep your career intact before you worry about your love life. Seriously, no man is worth giving up a good job for.

I think you need to give Josh some space and just stay away from that whole thing for a while. He is obviously going through a lot and the last thing you need to get into is a man going through a divorce after only being married for a month. It sounds like he doesn't have things figured out on his end.

You are wonderful and amazing! You aren't lacking anything in your life. Having a man is icing on your already perfect cake. Don't get so down about being alone. It's much better than having your career in tatters and wondering where your next meal is coming from.

Take a break from worrying about relationships and just find joy in being you because you are AMAZING!

Lizi Bates said...

Ok I've tried to leave a comment on here a few times but for some reason someone keeps interrupting me! Soy bean misses you :)

First of all: You can DO this! Mair you're one of the strongest people I know. Trust yourself.

Second of all Dr. S is sooo irritating I'm glad you don't have to work for a doofus like him. But for the record I think you'd be an AMAZING teacher!

And I'd have to disagree with Maria...there are definitely some guys out there that would be worth giving up a good job for...not saying you should or shouldn't...I'm just sayin' :)

Love you Mair!