Sunday, December 12, 2010

Whew We Made It

I survived another over the top party. My ward had their Christmas party on Friday.

The wedding arches almost made me loose my mind. I was wondering why do we need them? This is not a wedding. People are coming to see Santa, eat and go home.

Yet I gave 11 hours to this party. And I was not alone. There were tons of us working. The amount of man hours that went into this party was amazing. Luckily many ward members stayed and cleaned up. I was so exhausted.

I was in charge of the Santa picture station. I put the tree together and decorated it and the presents-isn't the chair amazing? Then I did the center pieces. Then I cooked. For some reason this ward does not send around the list to sign up for funeral potatoes, salad, rolls, dessert (with the ward supplying the ham and drink). Oh no. So Janice (VT partner-see Halloween post) and I worked and worked to heat up yams, hams, potatoes, pies, rolls, green beans, made punch and fresh cream for the pies. It was exhausting. I am amazed. How did we not exceed the budget? How come the ward does not bring food? Is this a new thing? I admit that I have not been to many ward activities but I seem to remember sign up sheets going around.
I have heard a rumor that Church wide the activities committee is being dissolved. Wards have up to 6 months to phase them out. And then they will go away as well as the budget for them. Interesting huh?
I am off to Utah again on Thursday. I am one lucky girl to be allowed to do whatever I want on the holidays!

7 comments:

cheeks said...

wow.....your ward will be really sad (and hopefully even more greatful for all your work) when your committee says adios! our ward just had our party last weekend too....i laugh, they provided ham and rolls and the ward signed up for everything else (well, some people did). I don't think there was enough food for everyone, really. Maybe your activity lady is so OCD, as you mentioned before, that she would think that might happen (not having enough food). ANYWHO....the party looks great! Your pic station is darling and yes that chair is awesome! I really can't believe you guys have that kind of budget for each party! amazing!

i don't blame you for not having a tree...you've been gone and are leaving again soon. we didn't do one last year for the same reason. i hope you have such a wonderful time with your family during christmas!

as for the previous post....i agree w/ maria & Youngs. for us outsiders looking in it's easy to see that neither dan nor josh deserves you (and you most definitely do not deserve thier crap). you work hard to do what's right and live the right way....it's not fair for you to throw that away and "settle" for someone who does not have the same standards and goals as you do. you are amazing and do not for one second discount your worth!

cheeks said...

whoa....that was a really long comment! sorry!

Melissa Rees said...

What the heck? My ward is officially weird. They didn't serve any food at our party, only desserts that WE had to bring!! No Santa either. And they told us we can't do any neighbor gifts either!! I would rather have slaved in the kitchen like you than my lame ward party!

Chelseys Blog said...

Your ward.... wow! We are on the ward activities committee and then when they announced they were dissolving the committee, my ward just released us! Yeah~! It looks so fun and you are seriously a ninja ward activities commitee person, cuz sign up sheets need to be sent around!!! Have such a great Christmas. Any chance your coming south over the break?

Maria said...

What's up with no activities commitee? Are they still going to have parties and just expect everyone to pitch in? Everyone that I know who has been on the AC has loved it (me included). Weird.

I'm so excited to see you on Friday! It's been too long. Think of where you want to eat and we can go there. I can pick you up and we'll meet Melissa.

The Obergs said...

ok, are you serious!? Will you please let me know when your next ward party is. It looks like these things end up being the event of the year, and I don't want to miss the next one.

Your picture station looks awesome and I'm in LOVE with the little fireplace area. Oh my heck, I've never seen such an involved party (aside from your halloween party).

I too have heard about the dismantlement of the activities committee. Although I hadn't heard about the budget going with it. How is that possible? Are they going to be giving more to the ward budget and letting them divvy it out accordingly, or are the church members now expected to foot the bill. When I was on the activities committee I know that we struggled keeping on budget all year long. I can't imagine what it would be like to have no budget at all.

I agree with Melissa, I would way rather slave in the kitchen and have a great party to show for it, then some crappy half-assed church party that no one wants to go to (which is how our current ward is)

Lori England said...

Wow I think wards going over the budget is the reason we do not have parties any more. Or maybe it is the shitty economy. Not that I am blaming you I know you where just following orders.
Any way Yea you are coming back to see us! Oh I better go clean your room and clean the tub:)