Monday, March 19, 2007

What Have I Done?

Well without saying too much because I know there are some people who read this blog who work with me; but I have been offered another job. Now this is not new. I have been offered two other jobs in addition to the one I have at Cedar Dental Center (CDC). This will be three. I was honestly surprised when I got the job offer from this Dr ?. When I interviewed I did not feel like it was going well. I figured that he just did not like me. Then on Saturday I was working my last and final shift at Albertson's Pharmacy (sniff sniff) when the front office girl from Dr ? came in and told me that she told him to hire me and that he would be calling me. I was shocked. So I was not surprised when I got the phone call. What I am surprised about is that I told him I wanted more compensation. He asked me how much money I would need to leave CDC for two days a week and I told him. He said he would think about it. So I guess I have to wait to find out if Dr ? is willing to pay me what I am worth or not before I tell CDC that I have been offered a job for more $ and that I am seriously thinking about taking it. The kicker is that the job is temporary until Dr ? assistant graduates from dental hygiene school in Dixie so it would be until June/July. What should I do? Do I stay loyal to the office who gave me my first job? Do I take the job from the Dr who is willing to pay me what I am worth? Do I compromise a full time RDH job for a 2 days a week job that ends in a couple months? Do I play the Drs against each other in a strategic plan to increase my wage? Should I just relax and stay with the secure low paying? Once again I need y'alls advice. Please help me!

7 comments:

BreAnna said...

This is great, it is always good to know your options, it makes you 1. decide you are happy where you are at, and enjoy it even more. or, 2. Recognize there is more out there and gives you the guts to try something new. First you should feel incredibly proud of yourself, and really think about what YOU want. My advice is this... Full time offices are great, they really let you "settle in", on the other hand you often "settle" and dont get the appropriate compensataion because you are not "on the market." I would decide how much you want, ask CDC for it, if they give it to you I would stay with the security, if they dont. I would definately go with the 2 days a week job. If they dont compensate you appropriately after a year, you will not ever be happy with what they are willing to offer. You have more than proved your worth to them (mrs. fluoride) Just remember when you approach them, that you already have this offer, so dont let them feel like you are asking too much, you are not. GOOD LUCK, and this is great!! Keep me posted

Mary Ann said...

Breanna Thank you for your words of wisdom! I really needed advice! So even if the 2 days a week job is only temp I should take it if CDC does not meet my compensation needs? You are so right about not being happy with what they are willing to offer. I need to rattle the cage a bit!

Aimee said...

I don't think I'd dare leave a full time job for a part time job that would only be for a couple months! I think you are worth more $$ for sure, but will you have a job after that assistant comes back??

Good luck!! Let me know what you decide!

Em said...

Man, I am glad this isn't me deciding. I'm like Aimee, I would stay with the security. But Breanna has a world of wisdom and she know what she is talking about.
I had my physical today, blood, urine, the female stuff. I was fingure printed yesterday. Now I just need one of the Midtown Dr's to do an exam on me. And if everything goes well (like passing the boards) I think I might have a job. Anyway, that is the low down on me. Good luck Mair!

The Obergs said...

I was going to write a novel, but then I read Breanna's comment and decided she wrote exactly what I was going to say, so I agree with her. I went out on a limb with a position that was supposedly only temporary until the hygienist came back after her baby. They offered more money and I liked the office better than the other places that offered me positions so I decided to take it and hope for the best. Well, the best happened and I'm still there full-time for as long as want to continue working for him. It's been so worth it and I have been so happy with my decision.

Jami said...

I agree w/ the gals! You are worth the $$$ and i think like Crystal's situation, the Dr will love you and make it work to be a permanent place for you.

BreAnna said...

I agree that it is hard to leave a stable full time job, but the thing is, if they are not interested in compensating you now, they never will be. Which means next year, you will be exactly where you are now. Which if that is a good place, great! After a year you really know how the dr. feels about salary increase, ect. and it never changes.