Monday, March 12, 2007

Ooops!

Today my third patient of the day was a woman who had a full upper denture. I had her remove it and then I went to the back to start the fizzy cleaning. Once I had finished cleaning the mandibular arch I went and retrieved her denture. I rinsed it off in the sink in my op. then went to place it on the patient tray so the Dr could look at it and her tissues when I dropped it on the floor! I was so embarrassed that I had dropped such an important piece of dental work!!!! I look around trying to locate it when I realize it had rolled/bounced under the patient chair! Freak! I had to lift the chair up and consequently the patient so I could achieve access to the piece of platsticy resin. I immediately retrieved it and ran to clean it again! I am such a klutz. I am pretty sure she hates my guts! What is even worse is that her husband was my fourth patient. He and I had a great hour flirting and chatting about life. So when I walked him up front she is there and he is still flirting away and I am sweating because the wife is on the other side of the counter. So when you hear about the skanky hygienist who drops dentures under the dental chair and then flirts with husbands you can say.....'Hey I know her!'

Next subject is Oraqix. I want it in my office. My dentists will not get it. They do not think that it is something worth investing in. I think I want to get it myself but since I am a greedy person I want to charge my patients a fee for the use and then I would get that fee. What is y'all's opinion about that? Do you think it is something I should look into? I am pretty confident that i could 'sell' it. I have become very good at it. For the second day in a row every adult prophy I have completed has chosen to have a fluoride treatment which insurances usually do not pay for and my office charges $21--pure profit for my Drs. I have already had several SRP patients who do not want to become numb, they would rather have something to take the 'edge' off without receiving a full block. I know I could get my money back, what I am wondering is what you guys charge in your office. Is is already part of your SRP fee? Does anyone out there charge for Oraqix? Anyone? Bueller?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I want it too- what is with docs. It is so funny because i see what they produce a day, but when they have to turn around and spend a little money it makes them a little crazy. I need a new op chair, mine does not stay up. It slowly works its way down. Maybe that is telling me i need to lose some more weight! Ha!!! He keeps putting it off, so i am ready to take his chair and switch it with mine. Lets see how long he can handle that!!! I bet not even one patient!!

I don't know how you can charge it out and then get reimbursed. That is definatley something to talk to the dr's/ office manager about. That is actually a really good idea. What if i buy a bunch of sonicares and then turn around and sell them. Can i get the prophet on them? We could be making so much more!

Anesthetic is a no charge for all our procedures. There is a code to bill it out under 09125. Don't know if you charged if insurance companies would pay anything? It is worth checking out!!!

BreAnna said...

I do use it, but we dont charge for it. I really like it, so I think it is worth looking into. If we can charge for nitrous I dont see why you couldnt charge for this. I would present it to your Dr saying you will clarify to patients there is a fee and their cost will be covered so techincally there is no expense to them. I dont think you should pay out of pocket.

Aimee said...

Well, WREB is this friday. I'm so nervous because I'm not sure if I'm studying the right stuff! Hopefully when all's said and done i'll feel that I over-studied. Anyway, hopefully I pass it all! Thanks for being so sweet!

Candice said...

Hey! I know this is super short notice, but do you have any tips for boards? I am freaking out! I am so nervous I think I will throw up! (I know I'm a drama queen) :) I am on Friday... Anyways, I was just curious. I've been studying with Bonnie, so she has your notes, but I'm just super nervous.
That's crappy about the Oraqix situation, it's not like it costs that much...Don't worry, I don't think you're skanky! Flirting with old men is fun! ;) J/K, I'm sure they loved you, you are great!

Maria said...

Mary Ann, you crack me up! You need to get up to the valley and hang out with me and Heidi and Korbin. We miss you! And help me find the motivation to start blogging again, I miss my online community!

The Obergs said...

Love the story about the denture....at least you went back and cleaned it again instead of just giving it back to her hahahah! As far as oraqix, I've had it in both of my offices and neither place charged for it, they think of it as anesthetic. In your case though, I think it would be justified. I'm surprised your Dr. won't get it for you, you think they would want to keep you happy. And just for the record, not a huge fan of oraqix. My patients don't feel like they get much numbing action. I don't know, maybe I'm not applying it correctly....