Friday, November 21, 2008

Missing Patients...

I have been a pharmacy technician for 8 years. During those 8 years I have done a lot of things. I have worked in a lot of pharmacies and for a lot of different pharmacists. I have met and worked with lazy techs, super ninja techs, so so techs, stupid techs, funny techs, etc. I have taught a lot interns. I have learned a lot from interns. I have been jealous of interns and the amount of money they make when I am doing all the work. But all in all it has been a fun ride. I have enjoyed being a pharmacy tech. I love the patients and hearing the funny stories. From boob rashes to sex changes to morning after pills following a rape, to how a certain med makes a certain male appendage go limp, to anti rejection meds following life saving transplant. It has been a wonderful experience and I have loved most of it.

Here in Oregon techs are not allowed to counsel patients on over-the-counter medication. In Utah we are allowed to if we feel comfortable. I did to the extend of my knowledge. If I did not know I asked the pharmacist. It wasn't a big deal for me. Well here I am having a hard time breaking that habit. It is hard for me. I have worked with one particular annul pharmacist who listens to every conversation I have with patients. She says I cannot tell them to get Ibuprofen or Tylenol. I can only show them where it is on the shelf. So here I am with a line of people and the person I am currently helping asks what is a good decongestant. I have to say I don't know let me as the pharmacist who is freaking busy on the phone or helping other patients so I have to sit and wait for her to come over and say....phenylephrine. I mean like I did not know that....If I was in Utah I would have said Pseudophed or phenylephrine and then sold it to them and moved the line along. Here in OR pseudophed is a class V narcotic and available only by prescription--Utah you can still get it over-the-counter. That is why Utah has a meth problem. Oh well. So far in Oregon I have not counted a CII medication, or reconstituted an antibiotic, counseled with a patient, or checked out someone all by myself. In OR the pharmacist has to counsel each patient when they have a new prescription and the computer required their fingerprint before I can finish the transaction. It is time consuming but good.

So I am adjusting to the rules of OR but it is a bit hard. I feel so useless. I miss treating patients. I miss the interaction and bonding that occurs between health care professionals and their patients. I really need to get a hygiene job. Luckily I am a newlywed and have other things to occupy my life:)

5 comments:

Maria said...

That's whack.

Us girls got together on Saturday for lunch...you were definitely missed! Have a great Thanksgiving!

cheeks said...

Wow, that would be hard. I could see myself getting into trouble...how do you just act dumb when you know so much? So...plans for turkey day? Is Dan's family all in OR?

Ben said...

What a small world. I was cruising around the internet on an old hard drive, and I had your blog bookmarked still.

Funny, We live in Oregon too. LOL. Glad to see that life is treating you well.

Ben said...

We're great, thanks for asking. We love in Salem, and have for about 3 years now.

Here's a junk email that I use for public places such as this. Hit us up sometime and I'll get back to you with some more personal info. Maybe we can set up a double date or something!?!

smelly.cheese.whiz@gmail.com

Melissa Rees said...

That sounds so technical! How do you remember it all? Hope married life is treating you good!