Saturday, January 30, 2010

Friday night out

I went to Portland's Chocolate Fest. What a blessed event! Chocolate stores bring their wares and tempt us with their decadent cupcakes, truffles, fudge, drinks, syrups, frostings, cakes, teas, chips, melt-aways, patties, toffees.... I had an evening to myself so I hopped

on the train and went to this great party!!!


I tried 3 different chocolate drinks from straight cacao steeped which was really bitter and tea like to a thick decadent heavenly cup. I tried so many truffles that I cannot keep them straight. The night I went happened to be the judging night. And the patrons (ME) were the judges so we got samples of so much I was a little sugared out.


I love caramel so I was really looking forward to sampling the Ladybug Chocolates version of smoked salted caramel covered in chocolate. I was intrigued. The salt had a smokey flavor like bacon and the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate was lovely but I did not like the strong salt flavor. I did not mind the smokey flavor just did not like the salt flavor.


I did enjoy the bacon maple fudge. I was hesitant to try but it was delicious. Bacon was a theme for several of the vendors. One of the categories was most innovative ingredient. Many chose bacon. Some of the bacon chocolate combos I liked some I did not. I liked the 'vermont shortstack'. It was a truffle. The center was like mapley pancake batter then rolled in bacon with chocolate outside. It was a flavor party for my tongue.


My favorite booth was the Seely Mint Farm. They are 4th generation mint and spearmint farmers. They had a lovely mint tea, peppermint oil, peppermint soap, and the best peppermint patties ever! I just melted....oh I mean they melted! They gave me the recipe I am excited to try it out. If you did not know I love mint. I was so happy. I purchased a bar of soap and my shower this morning was a mint heaven. It made me so mintalicious that my heart soared and my face broke out into a smile.


Another love I met last night was The Two Brothers Chocolate Syrup. They had a dark chocolate peppermint that was amazing. I could have bought their whole inventory. I still taste it on my tongue. I was strong and did not buy a jar but I wish I had now that I am remembering the luciousness.
There was also classes. There were chocolate experts giving lectures about chocolate and the different kinds and where the bean came from and how to use all the parts of the plant and how to temper and stuff and stuff. Great food and great learning opportunities make for a great evening out.

8 comments:

cheeks said...

i'm glad you enjoyed your evening! HOW COULD A GIRL NOT enjoy an event like that! my mouth is watering! all those bacon/chocolate combos sound interesting! good luck w/ the new recipe!

Maria said...

A chocolate fest?! YUMMM!! I am so jealous that you got to go to that. I also love carmel; that would have been heaven for me.

I've been such a loser since I got home. I have nothing to blog about and feel totally lame. Ugh. I need to go out more like you do.

The Obergs said...

whoa, whoa... my mouth is watering. The salted caramel chocolate actually sounds like a little piece of heaven.

What a wonderful night. Maybe SLC has a chocolate fest... I'm going to check it out and go.

Lori England said...

Mint pattys oh did you save one for me?

Lizi Bates said...

Of course Portland has a chocolate fest! It sounds absolutely wonderful and I'm so jealous. What a fun night out! My mouth was watering reading through this entire post. Sounds so good, esp right now at lunch time, mmmm!

vicki said...

Heaven will certainly be as you have just described!!

Melissa Rees said...

Yummy!! I am still working on getting my appetite back after "the ordeal". It sounds like you are doing well! Miss you!

Angie said...

What a fabulous night! I wish I could have been there with you! :-D