Monday, February 21, 2011

Once Upon a Time

Friends, I just bet you have been wondering what is going on in my storybook life. Well let me tell you. Get some snacks and tuck in for a good one.
Valentines Day is such a romantic day. I was thrilled this year to have actual plans. Todd was sweet and had planned fun for us. Unfortunately I called them off. I am not ready to date exclusively. That being said I had a typical V-day.
Sunday before v-day Travis called me. He is belly-looker man. He is 24, unemployed and wanted to go on a day hike. I was cool with it. . . cheap date right. Sadly, I did not want to go on V-day and I worked all week then Sat was planning on being out of town. I told him I was busy until next week. And that's the last I have heard from him. I am not concerned. 24 is just a baby.
Fast forward to Saturday, my co worker Kym and I made a trip to Hoquiam Washington. It is a small town on the Washington coast. Kym grew up in the area. Add that to Scott living there also. Around New Years my friend Ruth gave me an email of a man she though might be good. I emailed. He emailed. We facebooked for 5 hours and texted etc. We have a tremendous amount of thing in common. He lives in Hoquiam. Of course I had to hitch a ride with Kym.
Kym was going because her grandmother of 89 had recently moved into a long term care facility. She experienced a fall. She broke her hip which was missed and then was told to walk down to dinner and fell again breaking the other hip, leg, arm, ribs etc. She underwent surgery on Friday. Somehow she made it through and is now suffering in bed. She hurts all over and is bruised from forehead to toenail.
Gma needed to be out of her house by the end of the month since she is now in a long term facility. We helped clean out all of her cupboards. I ended up taking a box of cookware, plates, crochet hooks, etc home. Kym's family was so generous. It was a hard weekend. Pretty much saying goodbye to gma, signing a DNR, cleaning out her house and scavenging for items wanted. Plus laughing when we found the pile of cleaned and folded used tinfoil. Old people sure keep everything.
One thing that was painful to watch was how this family was aching from the thought of loosing gma. I am so very grateful for the knowledge I have. I am so glad I know that we will be resurrected and that we will have perfect bodies. I am comforted knowing that families are forever. I know that I will be with all of my family in this short moral life and in the next eternal life. I know that I will see my gma again. I also know my grandfather met her in Heaven to take her hand. Kym's mother hoped that her father would be there to take her mothers hand. I take that knowledge for granted. I know without a doubt that he will be there for her. I am so glad I have a larger perspective about life than most. It is hard when dating and I look at a man and I know that we will not be sealed in the temple and I know that we wont be together forever and I think, why bother with a relationship when nothing will come of it in the eternities.
Hmmmm. How did this story turn sad? Lets get to the pics.
This is the parking lot at the hospital. Look at the ocean! EEEKKKK. I love that water. Also notice the clear skies. A rare event this time of year.


Kym introduced me to Bill's XL bakery. She has told me for years about these bismarks. I listened and half believed her. I am not a big bismark fan. I like maple bars--yum. We stopped BEFORE going to the hospital to see gma to get donuts. This is a true bakery and opens at 5 am and closes at noon and is closed on Sundays. We knew once we got to the hospital we would not be able to leave for several hours. I am kind of mad at Kym for introducing this pastry to me. I have to admit it is by far the best bismark I have ever had. The filling, the light dough, the crispy outer layer, the chocolate. All are unlike anything I have ever tasted. I am serious this Bill man has the dough recipe perfected and the chocolate is Bavarian and is amazing! I cannot describe the perfection of this donut. I think even Maria would like it.

Next is the local drive in. The Light House Drive-In. They have beer battered fries AND fry sauce!!!! I cannot tell you how much I miss fry sauce. It is rare for a food establishment outside of Utah to have this delicacy. I was so happy.
And by the way I am still laughing at Matt Harpring. He was announcing a Jazz game and admitted he had never tried fry sauce and did not know what it was. How did he play for the Jazz for so long and not ever eat fry sauce? It cracks me up! I sure love Matt so don't get me wrong. But fry sauce . . .
Anyway, Hoquiam was fun.Scott is a dream. He is way more attractive that his pictures. He is a reserve policeman. He works hard for his family's business of rental beach homes and gift shop. He loves Shinedown. He doesn't drink or smoke. He is not LDS. He is my flavor-so delicious. I am not his. He did find 2 hours to give me. He picked me up. Took me to the ocean and then took me home. As we are turning the corner to where I was staying he asked if I was hungry. I said yes I was starving. And he walked me to the door. So I guess he didn't care.
This is the end of the story. It does not have the happiest of endings but it is very typical of my life. The men I like are not interested in me. And the men that are interested in me . . . I mess it up.

6 comments:

*Jo* said...

you have a beutiful life! someday there will be a man that likes you and you like him!!! and 24 is a baby! but have fun if he does call:) and maybe when i visit you i can meet him:) bahaha!! ive never liked any guys that were older than me..well, yes i have..but they all crashed way too early!! love you mairs!!!

Ruth said...

Curse Ruth! My heart fell, now I feel sad inside. More so, than I did before.

Mary Ann said...

Ruth! It is not your fault!

Lizi Bates said...

What a variety post! I think Hoquiam would be a fun place to visit, if not just for the bismarks! Mair someday you will like a guy and he will like you back and it will be magical!! That was so sweet of you to help out Kym's family. Keep on keepin' on, you're awesome!!

Melissa Rees said...

Don't give up on those boys!! I have a secret crush on Matt Harpring- he is such a babe :) Now I'm hungry...

Maria said...

That doughnut looks heavenly! And fry sauce?! That's so awesome. I'm sorry that guy was a dork, but I'm so impressed that you're getting all these dates. I sure as heck am not meeting anybody.