Saturday, February 05, 2011

It Is Not a Child But It Is Mine

Meet my bromeliad. . . .  hello!
I have not named him yet. Hmm. This wonderful plant came into my life in a wonderful way.
About 8 years ago a patient gave us (the crew at Albertsons Pharmacy) a plant. It was s tree type that was so hardy and lovely. We enjoyed the little plant. One day the State Board of Pharmacy came in and did an inspection. We got in trouble for having a plant because it was hygienically unclean. (Silly bureaucratic rules). I happened to be the one working and got to take it home. I loved the plant. I re potted it and fed it and watered and moved with it. When I packed up my Tundra to move to Portland there was not room for the beloved plant. I left it. It was hard to leave it but I did it. I drove away.
Lately I have been acutely aware that I am protecting my heart to tightly that I wont let anything in. I wont love anything. I thought I should get a cat or dog. But no. I am not ready to commit to that kind of love. I decided Tuesday to go and get a plant this weekend. I thought I could love a plant. But I was still thinking about it. I wasn't sure I was ready to love even a plant. To give of myself to a plant.


I was thinking about my lack of love for even a plant and was disturbed. Luckily Thursday I went to Todd's house for game night and dinner. We were sitting at the table playing Backgammon (my first time playing). Todd points to the center piece and asks if I like it. I say I do. He said good because it is yours. I was super excited. This amazingly beautiful plant was exactly what I wanted. It is not too needy. I requires little light-no direct light, water once a week. Perfect! I love it. Plus it is unique and beautiful. I am pretty lucky to have such a gift.
Thank you Todd.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Let him in a little, but most of all let him kiss you. Look at me advocate for someone I have never met...thank you for your friendship. I thought of you last night, as I watched The Bucket List again. Life truly is about the people who come into your life and about the impact you make on others lives. So to this I say, thank you Mary Ann for being in life.

cheeks said...

what a cool looking plant!! so....did he know that you were thinking of getting a plant? or was that pure coincidence? i'm really liking this todd guy! :)

Lizi Bates said...

Look how pretty and unique your plant is! Can't wait to hear what you name him :) I'm liking Mr. Todd.

The Obergs said...

perfect, absolutely perfect! Hopefully you have more of a green thumb than I do, or else it will be dead in a week.

Good ol' Todd. I'm still wondering who he is, but he sounds great.

Melissa Rees said...

I can't believe you left the other plant behind!! I feel so bad for him, but I'm glad you have a new one!!

Angie said...

He's a good guy. :-)