Thursday, February 10, 2011

Train Ride home

I have a story I want to tell. I only have one person in my life I felt comfortable telling the story to. You may not enjoy the story and that is fine. This is for me.

Yesterday I had plans to go to Grupo Corpo, a Brazilian Ballet company on tour. I was so excited. My last two patients were a husband and wife combo and came early. I dismissed the patients at 4:15 pm. I hustled and cleaned the room and closed down the office. I ran to the train and saw tons of people waiting for the train. My experience tells me that it has been a while since one had come and by time it got to my stop it would be sardine packed full. I had to get home so I could change, do my hair etc. I had to get on that train. I started walking to the next stop as fast as I could. I ended up walking down 2 stops. I got on the train. I was right it was full and I wormed my way on. I am standing directly in the middle (between 2 doors). I am standing and my stomach is right  in the face of a man. We smiled and then nothing for the next 20 min except me hitting him with my bag. We get to the stop prior to mine. The man who was looking at my stomach was sitting next to another man who needed to get off the train. We shuffle around and make room. There is now 2 seats open. I do not sit down and get out of the way. I hold the crowds back so the belly looking man could make his way back to his seat and have a seat. I was saving it for him. Kind of unspoken deal we had. He kept looking back at me. I kept smiling at him to let him know I would save his spot. He made it back and slid into the seats. I moved toward the door at that time since the next stop was mine and I needed to take advantage of the space to make it to the door before even more people got on. I find a spot and look back. Belly looker man was looking at me and smiled thank you. I nodded and got of at my stop. As I walked by his window he knocked and waved. I smiled and waved back. Then with Blue October playing through my headphones I start speed walking. I have got about 30 min to transform from dental Mair to stunning Mair. I have to hurry. I am walking and enjoying the music.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. It scared me. It was Belly looker man. He somehow got off the train and ran to catch me. I did not hear him call after me due to my totally awesome headphones Jenni got me for Christmas, that block out noise. Belly looker man said hey, I don't do this but I just had to get off the train and give you my number. You are so beautiful I could not just sit there and let you go. I was shocked. What??? This has NEVER happened to me. No one has ever given me their number let alone sacrificed a spot on the train to do so. While the ballet was the highlight of my night Belly looker man did make me feel beautiful.I imagine Belly looker man saw me walking away and saw his future flash before his eyes and he was compelled to chase me down. How flattering! How gutsy! He put himself out there-for me. Amazing.
Thank you for listening.

6 comments:

cheeks said...

This story made my day!!!! You ARE beautiful! How cool is that! That boy has guts!!

PS, whenever i hear a blue october song it makes me think of you! can't wait to hear about the ballet!

Alicia said...

Wow! I love it! You could go novel with this. Are you going to call him?

Alicia said...

Ummm...just read about Todd--yes, I'm way behind. Forget about the number, but what a compliment!

Ruth said...

See, I keep telling you they are watching you! They like what they see!

Lizi Bates said...

I was anxious to get to the end of the story because I wasn't sure if this belly looker man was going to ask you out or attack you. I like how it turned out tho...very flattering :)

Angie said...

How fun! :-D