Monday, February 13, 2006

'Gotta let it burn'

Me and my big mouth have offended yet again! This time I will not apologize. In class today we had a panel of volunteer (I am assuming) dental hygienists. One was in my face with excitement about the profession. She kept telling us how to become more productive for dentists and how to use this info to negotiate a greater wage. She was enthusiastic and very optimistic about being a good dental hygienist. Another hygiensit works one day a week; the end. The last hygienist had a few things to say but not so much. At the end of the 2 hour lecture/Q&A, I asked them if they were members of ADHA (American Dental Hygienists Association). None of them were...and they were all WSU graduates! Honestly I was shocked. I assumed the 'one day a week worker the end' and the other mute would not be members, but the go-get-um girl really surprised me. She was lecturing me for about 2 hours trying to convince me that I am a valued health professional and that if I valued my services then my patients would also. She tried to hit it home that I should value my profession. What a hypocrite! She is not even a member of my professional organization. I am disappointed in her, to the point that all her value teaching is just 'shit under the gums'!

I know some of my fellow classmates were offended by me also...here is a warning to you....if in 7 years you are not a member of ADHA, even if you are not working, I will give you the same crap I gave them today (maybe more)!

Another warning...If you work for a proprietary school (ie. UCDH) I will no longer acknowledge your existence.
Since you all value my opinion (ha ha), I know each of you will take note and become the best professional dental hygienist in the world! Then I will be bragging to everyone that I knew you when....

6 comments:

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

sometimes i wish i was a dental hygienist so i could be cool like you! i have a date for wednesday and thursday!!! score for jo!!! i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and i love you and the end ohoh calista janna and i have a bathroom journal!!!

Melissa said...

You didn't offend me. I think you are great for standing up for what you believe in and telling those b-yatches wuz up. How can I take any hygienist seriously when she doesn't even belong to her own club? Duh!!! PS- I'm still totally bummed about crapping out on mockboards. I'm, still a good hygienist, right?

Jami said...

Mair, i am so glad you asked those "hygienists" if they were ADHA members. You stopped em dead in their tracks, way to go!

Jami said...

So last week i started to write this SUPER LONG post about our SUPER LONG day and something happened and kicked me off and i was so bugged, so i have yet to write about it again...maybe tonight! That was a wacky day! Oh, i am super excited to add some links, yeah!!

Unknown said...

You are tough! That took guts!! I wish that i could have been there to see their faces- i am sure they did not have a clue on what to say!! Way to stand your ground!!!
Hang in there!!! You are getting so close! So you have plans for the future, ie: where are you going to practice? Vegas?? :)

karena said...

you are so awesome. keep on truckin!